WD-40 Spray Bottle... WHAT!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To avoid all the confusion, the best way is to buy one of those metal refillable sprayer that will last (almost) for ever ;)

I make my own and have done for years.
75% paraffin [ or kerosene in the US ] and 25% ATF or simple hydraulic oil.
Seems to work better.

Just as an aside the UK version of WD40 is not the same as the US version, look at the spec sheets. The US version has been downgraded, tree huggers ? Tort lawyers ?

John S.

Kerosene is known as Paraffin in the UK? Here (US) Paraffin is a wax. (You would buy in brick form... for canning and candles and such.)

You Brits and your strange ways! Always putting stuff in your boots (Other than feet) and looking for engines under your bonnets...... and putting wax in your tanks apparently ;-P

Anyway... back to topic. WD-40 sure smells better than kerosene... and seems somewhat less vile and messy than ATF and Kerosene would be. I just checked and the WD sprayer I have doesn't have the one-use lock.

I do want to get some of the water soluble coolants to try too... I don't see why they couldn't be used in a hand sprayer.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=505-2057&PMPXNO=946817

Ironically the wax stuff we call candle wax, ;D

John S.

I do want to get some of the water soluble coolants to try too... I don't see why they couldn't be used in a hand sprayer.
Troyo, I use water soluble coolant in a common hand spray bottle obtained from the gardening section in the hardware store; it works a treat with the nozzle adjusted to give a thin stream when squirted.
At first I thought the hand sprayer might not last with the coolant in it, but it's given me two years worth of service and is still functioning like new.

Just thought that might be useful for you to know...

Regards, Arnold

TroyO said:
Kerosene is known as Paraffin in the UK? Here (US) Paraffin is a wax. (You would buy in brick form... for canning and candles and such.)

You Brits and your strange ways! Always putting stuff in your boots (Other than feet) and looking for engines under your bonnets...... and putting wax in your tanks apparently ;-P

Anyway... back to topic. WD-40 sure smells better than kerosene... and seems somewhat less vile and messy than ATF and Kerosene would be. I just checked and the WD sprayer I have doesn't have the one-use lock.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=505-2057&PMPXNO=946817

I thought thats what everybody did I gave up using a brush when the bristles kept getting Caught

Hi Guys

I buy WD40 here in the UK by the gallon and get a plastic spray bottle free with each one. There's no restriction to prevent re-opening of the bottles and filling them again, but they usually tend to only-just last the life of the gallon before they start leaking from around the trigger area.

Pete.

Peter. said:
Hi Guys

I buy WD40 here in the UK by the gallon and get a plastic spray bottle free with each one. There's no restriction to prevent re-opening of the bottles and filling them again, but they usually tend to only-just last the life of the gallon before they start leaking from around the trigger area.

Pete.

So the stuff does work as a penetrating oil !

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Just as an aside the UK version of WD40 is not the same as the US version, look at the spec sheets. The US version has been downgraded, tree huggers ? Tort lawyers ?

Hi John,
Does that mean the Yankee version should be called WD39 or WD41?
Ned

If your stuck for a penetrating oil - Flyspray or mosquito repellent work pretty good as long as they are not using a water based carrier,

Best Regards
Bob

Peter. said:
Hi Guys

Pete.

The last ones I bought here in Canada can be re-filled. (Spring 2010) Squeeze the sides of the screw-on lid/cap and the it deforms enough to skip over the little wedges on the bottle pictured above.

Maybe this is a new version???

Andrew

Latest posts

Back