Waltham Machine Works Lathe Restoration

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

Wow, I see what you mean. I can't think of a reason why it would have been made this way so I am wondering if it's a modification to overcome some previous damage to the cross slide. Just because I can't think of it does not mean that there isn't a damn good reason for it......... so if possible I would like to know what it is. ???

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for the interest and support Bob!

Nope....All the Ames slides are made that way. If you look at the side view picture, you see a small slot on the bottom of the carriage. In that slot went the side of the leadscrew nut...here's the pictures of the old nut mounted and the new nut I made with it..

P1010125.jpg

P1010123.jpg

The next step is to machine the outside of the new nut to match the old one, and to accomodate the changes in horizontal and vertical alignment as a result of the re-scraping process. I've been dreading this part! I can't figuire out a way to measure the relative alignment of the parts once assembled. The nut is buried inside the slide. I really need to sort this out before I assemble it.........Anybody up for a puzzle? ::)

Dave

steamer said:
Nope....All the Ames slides are made that way.

The next step is to machine the outside of the new nut to match the old one, and to accomodate the changes in horizontal and vertical alignment as a result of the re-scraping process. I've been dreading this part! I can't figuire out a way to measure the relative alignment of the parts once assembled. The nut is buried inside the slide. I really need to sort this out before I assemble it.........Anybody up for a puzzle? ::)

The best I can come up with is to check the leadscrew for concentricity and having sorted that out mount the leadscrew onto the carriage without the nut. A vernier height gauge would be best to take off the vertical measurement from the base of the cross slide to the top of the lead screw but parallels and feelers is all I have. The horizontal measurements would be across from the outside of the dovetails to the opposite sides of the leadscrew. Some addition and subtraction from these measurements would hopefully give the final position of the nut centreline.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob for your support!

The only problem is that the leadscrew is buried inside the slide when assembled! :eek:

Here's my cunning plan.

The end of the slide has the screwed in leadscrew thrust block. I will turn up a straight, untapered shaft with that thread on the end. I will screw that into the casting where the leadscrew thrust block now sits.

I will then use this as a datum to measure from, knowing the leadscrew goes down the center of the threaded hole.

The rod would be projecting OUT now, and not in.

thrustblockref2.jpg

thrustblockref1.jpg

Dave

steamer said:
The only problem is that the leadscrew is buried inside the slide when assembled! :eek:

Aha,

Now I see the dilemma, my X slide is cutaway between the dovetails so you can see the leadscrew.
mgeye-popping.gif

Your method should be fine, just a mirror image and probably somewhat easier than removing the carriage.
wow.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Back