Vortex Tube

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHorse

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Well this is not about engines, but I found these plans a while ago and knew I would build it some day, It is so interesting.

Something that you inject compressed air into and out one end comes cold air and hot out of the other, has to be investigated :D

Here is a link to the story and plans: http://www.visi.com/~darus/hilsch/

There are some practical uses for these like cooling cutting bits and cabinets: http://www.airtxinternational.com/how_vortex_tubes_work.php

I have done some tests on it and it does work. It certainly won't freeze mercury or cook my breakfast ( as the article states). The cold pipe is cold to the touch and warm for the hot pipe. I have to do some experiments with different hole sizes in the washer next.

Here are some pictures:

P1310032.jpg

The cold end
P1310033.jpg

The hot end with adjusting valve
P1310034.jpg

All the parts before assembly
P1310038.jpg

The Spiral. This was the tricky part, I pierced it out with a jewellery saw and finished it up with a file.
P1310042.jpg

This shows the washer on the spiral chamber
P1310045.jpg

On to the next project.

IronHorse

Same here - that will have to go on my 'future projects' list

Very cool!

I actually have a couple of commercial vortex tubes I got for cheap on eBay. They are fascinating. The biggest problem trying to use one for something like end mill cooling is that they consume air like crazy.

But they do get extremely cold!

Best,

BW

There must be one hell of a big one up in the sky with the hot end pointed toward Australia & the cold end toward Minnesota. :big: :big: :big:

putputman said:
There must be one hell of a big one up in the sky with the hot end pointed toward Australia & the cold end toward Minnesota. :big: :big: :big:

You got that right :(

putputman said:

I wonder where they have the compressor ::) :hDe:

... off to the left a bit ;)

Latest posts

Back