Vibratory finishing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeusrekning

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack Bretk's post so here we go.
This is the little info I have on vibratory finishing AKA tumbling.
We would use a two step process when polishing alum.
At my last job we used plastic media(slightly abrasive but nothing like ceramic) to smooth out the part. Then we would finish tumble using a porcelain media to get a good polish. We also used two liquid compounds for this process. The first used with the plastic media was like a cleaner/degreaser. It would keep the pores of the media clean and keep it "cutting". The compound for the porcelain media (which looked like white rat droppings) worked the exact opposite way. It would actually keep the pores loaded up so not to cut but burnish. Vibratory finishing is not one of those things you can just plug in and go. Well you can but won't usually get good results. But if you do a little research and get the right compounds/media.It works well. I don't know that you will get as good of results as hand polishing but close and a lot easier if you are doing anything of quantity. Check out this link for a little info on vibratory finishing.
http://www.masfinishing.com/Media.html The owner is a vibratory whiz. It really is amazing all the little details that affect the outcome.
Tim

Here you go the quick and the clean short course on the media and the machines. Eastwoods is a good place to get some basic info on a lot of the, materials ,tools and procedures. http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=440&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=439&iSubCat=440

This is their opening page on vib tumblers. Horrible Fright has some of the media too. small canisters of the ceramic, and boxes of the walnut shell in two grit sizes. And most of the jewelry supply sites or dealers have the stainless steel shot that you mix with a soap solutions for cleaning and lubrication in the tumbling process. the shot comes in ball, cone and rod all mixed together so every cranney gets burnished. :big:

Thanks for this post guys I have been looking for the ceramic shot for my parts cleaner mine got thrown out by the movers when we came to OR . I use this for cleaning vary greasy car parts I built a tumbler from a 5 gal bucket and a 60-1 gear motor mounted to a frame with the bucket at about 45 deg. put in the parts, shot, water and dish soap and the rockers nuts and bolts all look new.
Dave

I use stainless steel shot with a caustic powder called tumblex in water for polishing jewellery.
It won't give as good a finish as a carefully prepared and then buffed part but it is the only safe way to polish things like chains and is also good for odd shaped items that buffers can't get too.

Tim,

Thanks for the tips ! I Love this site !!!!! ;D ;D I learn more every day, I am going to have toorder some different things to try now ......

-Bret

The "ceramic shot" is called Microbrite. It's ridiculously expensive in small quantities--about 2x normal. But, what the heck, I have a small home shop and don't need a 1500lb pallet load!

I just ordered some from these guys:

http://www.raytech-ind.com/finish3.htm

I also ordered their soap additive to go with it. This is the stuff the pro-boards have all recommended for softer materials like brass, so I'm going to give it a try on some brass and see.

Cheers,

BW

I polish a lot of brass recycling cartridge cases ;). Since ammonia compounds are out since they weaken the brass, I use walnut shell media and polish of various sorts-- lately an auto polish called 'nu finish'. Works well with a few hours of tumbling. A little rouge in with the walnut shell really cleans up the grungy ones.

I get walnut shell media at the pet store sold as lizard bedding. The sandblasting media works but is a little too fine for me.

Back