Vertical Mill Slide

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpar

Kpar
Reaction score
Hi all, my last post got me sorted out so now another.
I realise most of you all have separate Mills and maintain that using the lathe as a mill is not ideal, but back in my younger days all my Dad had was a lathe and he used to do a fair bit of milling with it. Anyway I'm going to try.
First off I have a AL 320-G Model L141 and H&F show a mill Slide (L277) on there web site. It just says fits most lathes. Has anybody fitted one of these or another brand. I have sent them an E-mail asking for confirmation, so far no reply. Any input would be much appreciated.
Kpar

I'll answer my own post Hare & Forbes got back to me and basically said to forget about a mill vice for the AL 320 G as almost impossible to adapt.
Best option buy a mill. Problem is no room in the shed.
Kpar

Do you have a benchdrill ? If so get rid and make room for a small mill
Its far superior for drilling.I too had the same problem and sold the drill bought the sieg sx2 mill best thing I have done

I'll answer my own post Hare & Forbes got back to me and basically said to forget about a mill vice for the AL 320 G as almost impossible to adapt.
Best option buy a mill. Problem is no room in the shed.
Kpar

Years ago, I bought a 918( really, it was a 920 with a Myford spindle) and it had slots 'running the wrong way' to those on the previous Myford.

I got around the problem by fitting a subtable which enabled me to fit a vertical slide which came from a Zyto( which you probably have no idea about) and a George Thomas rear parting tool which was made up for the Myford.

I've prattled long enough and the answer is that I still have them.

What you have to beware of is 'false prophets' who simply want to sell you something.

Your father was right, he COULD do things on a lathe alone.
If you lash out for Sparey's The Amateurs Lathe Book', you will find that most of the present designs were made on a lathe alone.

Mills for home use came in about 1973- and you had to make the first one which, if my memory holds, was Ned Westbury's.
How do I know all this? I made one!

Thanks Bazmak & Goldstar, Yes I have a pedestal drill stand about 10 years old a cheepy back then. A good suggestion in getting rid of it and get a mill. I guess i never thought of a mill as a drill. Checked out on line the "Sieg Sx2 Mill, just got to check suppliers in QLD. Plus a gift for the wife.
Kpar

Hey Kpar, I have the H&F Al 250 and I brought that mill slide and fitted it to my lathe. Worked OK. Not as good as a mill, never will be, but when it was all I had I found that there was generally some sort of set up that could be worked out. I had to drill and tap my cross slide to fit it but it was an easy job. To us it, I just removed the compound slide. If you are ever after one of their mills, I can recommend the Optimum BF-20LV. I've had mine for over a year now and love it. Prior to that I had the Sieg XP2 Hi Torque. It was OK and I learned a lot but they do have their share of problems, particularly the gibs and leadscrew backlash. In the end it was the size that made me sell it and go for the larger Optimum, with your 320 lathe I think you may find the same thing. I have just taken a quick pic with the slide on the lathe, its not bolted down but you should get the gist of it. Regards, Peter.

20170301_144913[1].jpg

20170301_144909[1].jpg

One of my 'contacts' who is a professional engineer but builds mode; locomotives using CNC mills and whatever has just mentioned that he still uses a vertical slide to bore locomotive cylinders rather than using his mill.

I have at least TWO vertical slides plus one on my Stent tool and cutter grinder. This brings the concept of the Tinker tool and cutter grinder which uses something similar as the basis of the Norman Tinker design.

Interesting , to say the least

Norm

First off I have a AL 320-G Model L141 and H&F show a mill Slide (L277) on there web site. It just says fits most lathes.
Kpar

I considered fitting one of these to my AL320-G but ended up buying a Sieg SX3 mill when I bought my Lathe. I don't think it would be too hard to fit either by removing the top slide and fashioning a mount to the circular slot or mounting it on the crosslide itself.

Interesting that we have just inherited a large lathe with a 70mm spindle bore at work and we wanted to machine some spanner flats on some 50mm dia control arms. Yesterday, the boys welded up a quick and dirty vertical holder that held the rods in place with hose clamps and it did a perfect job! We may end up buying that vertical slide ourselves as we don't have a mill. But it is a bit small ...:confused:

Thanks ALL for your comments. After much reading & watching countless videos I ended up biting the bullet & ordered a SIEG SX2.3 with R8 spindle. It seems a bit more robust then other SIEGS in my price range.
Only time will tell if it was a correct decesion. Anybody else got one of these ?.
Kpar

I contemplated upgrading to the 2.7 or the new 2.3 which is slightly cheaper
with a smaller motor I believe.I think it will be a good buy for you
I eventually made the decision to stick with my Sx2lf which does a good job
of everything I ask.Currently fitting DROs if you see my thread.Lets have a thread description when it arrives with photos Regards barry

Back