upshur twin picture

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Stan,
10mm is nearly twice the size of the ones I used to use. When you only have a small area in the cylinder head to fit one in because the valves would hit it otherwise, you have to go with what is recommended.
On some of the larger engines you can get away with going up in size, but not the ones I used to make.

John

John,

There are quite a few modelers who now make their own plugs using Corian as the insulator. If you make a rimfire, they are pretty easy to make, especially for someone with your skills.

I have an old Hercules, 1.5 horsepower hit'n'miss engine with an igniter that originally used mica as the insulator. When I rebuilt the engine, I couldn't find the mica and used Corian instead. It's been running fine for about 3 years with no breakdown of the Corian.

Chuck

raym 11 said:
Chuck;

I built the engine from drawings in Model Engine Builder. Most mods were cosmetic.
The carb is as built. Are there any carb mods I could make to upgrade that you know of?

Ray

Ray,

No, I wasn't suggesting any mods. I'm looking for a carb for my open column twin engine. The upshur model might fit the bill. I was looking at the plans, and there doesn't appear to be any compensating mechanism - something that adjusts the mixture as you open and close the throttle. Does the engine seem to run OK at different speeds?

Chuck

Chuck;

Yes, this carb simply changes the inlet air mix {choke} when moving 'throttle', so speed change is narrow at best.

You might check out the carb design for the Randall Cox 'Open Six' in Model Engine Builder Magazine.

Bob Shores designed for .750 bore engines back in 2002. You might get some ideas to scale up from. It's on a single 'A' size sheet with copyrights . His site and/or Margaret might have availability answers.

PS....where to order small pieces of corian?

Ray

You can frequently get small samples at Home Depot or Loew's for free in the countertop section. By small, I mean maybe 3/4" square and 1 1/4 inch long. The other place to check is eBay. It shows up there on a regular basis. You might also find it at woodworker stores where it's sold as pen blanks for making ball point pens.

Chuck

I frequently get "Sink Cut-Outs" from a cabinet shop for small work surfaces. The shops usually have a surplus of the cut-outs and the price is normaly free for the hauling as the home owner has already paid for them.

If you are really lucky they might even have some "stone" (marble, granite, soapstone) cut outs. I use one as a surface plate in my little home shop. They may not be as true as a Starret "Pink" but they are a lot cheaper (free) and moving them does not require a platoon of riggers.

Did I ever mention I'm CHEAP? :D

Latest posts

Back