A quiet air compressor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesWimshurst

DavesWimshurst
Reaction score
I eat dinner once a week with my techie friends and often want to run one of the engines I've brought. I wanted a silent air compressor.
I had several feet of 2.25 inch bore brass pipe that was just begging to be used. The design I came up with is this:

IMG_0724.jpg

It is a two cylinder single acting pump of similar appearance to antique two man fire engine pumps. A propane cylinder as used for camping stoves provides an air reservoir and the support structure for the handle.

Here is a picture of the partially dismantled pump showing the valve on the bottom of one piston:

IMG_0721.jpg

Here is the valve dismantled:

IMG_0718.jpg

Each brass cylinder mounts over a short aluminum cylinder and is held in place and sealed by a tight fitting o-ring.

IMG_0719.jpg

Six air holes lead to a valve chamber below the disk as shown in the sketch:

IMG_0734.jpg

I removed the valves and baked the propane tank in a 150 deg F oven for about three days to get rid of the odorant from gas residue. I didn't know the specs for the thread on the cylinder which measures about 25 mm dia. and may be 1.25 mm pitch.

IMG_0723.jpg

I approximated using 20 threads per inch (1.27 mm pitch) which seamed close enough since the sealing was done using an o-ring and the four long bolts provided structural stability:

IMG_0733.jpg

Air passages connect to each pump half by copper tubing.

The piston area is about four square inches so to get 5 psi requires about 20 pounds force on the pump handles though the large pistons provide a good air flow for small engines.

The pump was made mostly from recycled materials including the osage orange wood for the handles.

A video of the pump in action:

The last engine shown is my version of Elmer's mine engine, I used a slip eccentric to get the reversing ability. I hope to get some pictures of it up soon.

Dave

That is one clever design.

It works really smooth and easy too.

Good job on it...

That's great. It's styled nicely and works flawlessly.
Nice job! Thanks much for the video demonstration.

Dean

I love it! Ingenious as well as great workmanship.

Great idea Dave - seems to take a bit of power to drive, wonder if you could drive it with a quiet motor slowed down by belts and pulleys, nothing to stop you connecting an auxillery tank either I guess.

Very nice.

Thanks

Nick

Latest posts

Back