Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsh

Reaction score
Hi All, If useing a diamond paste for lapping,when you come to clean the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, what liquid do you use please?
ATB Marsh.

I use Simple Green detergent diluted 50:50. I think nearly any detergent is better than a hydrocarbon solvent. Just be sure to use warm detergent solution >45 C, rinse with hot water, and dry quickly to avoid flash rust. Watch out for some detergents attacking aluminum parts.

anything that helps cavitation by reducing surface tension but doesn't foam up. dish washer detergent, laundry detergent, simple green, really most any water soluble cleaning agent will have surfactants that will aid in cavitation but regular bath soap, shampoo, or dish soap will likely foam up and make a mess.

I use Isopropyl alcohol in mine. I just have a small HF US cleaner that I use for various items. It does well on getting the gunk out of old carburetors. Haven't tried the Simple Green yet - I do have gallons of it.

I do run the thing out doors in the driveway in case something goes awry.

I use Isopropyl alcohol in mine. I just have a small HF US cleaner that I use for various items. It does well on getting the gunk out of old carburetors. Haven't tried the Simple Green yet - I do have gallons of it.

I do run the thing out doors in the driveway in case something goes awry.

that can work great in theory as alcohol has a low boiling point and i think it has low surface tension. makes for easy cavitation. i don't know the thermodynamics and physics of it all but i could see it working pretty well.

Isopropyl is a poor solvent for oil. You may risk leaving behind diamond-contaminated oil. Go with the warm detergent. It's effective, cheap, and safe. Just be sure to rinse and dry the part quickly. I usually use compressed air or a hot-air gun.

I use Isopropyl alcohol in mine.

They always warn to use combustable liquids in an US cleaner.
I'm using the Tickopur cleaners. They do have recipes for almost any problem. TR3 for example is great for de-rusting.

Nick

Back