Crosshatch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Previously I had lapped my cast iron cylinder sleeves for my Howell V4 with diamond compound and used ultrasonic cleaner to clean them after. There is a crosshatch pattern I can see but faint, because it was done with a fine lapping compound. The bores of them were lapped to .875, the piston rings were made to that size, and I gapped them all to .003

I got this for tool for crosshatching, can I just use it on the cylinder sleeves I have already made to put a better crosshatch on them? If I do that will I have to make new rings? Or should I just leave the cylinder sleeves as the are and not try to crosshatch them better with honing tool?

My thought was that either I make new cylinder sleeves .002 undersize and hone them to .875 with honing tool and keep piston rings that are already made, or make new piston rings and keep cylinder sleeves. I'd rather not have to do either of those.
20211230_130720_resized.jpg

If your liners have been lapped and are circular and are the right diameter for your rings, I'd leave them alone. In my opinion, cross-hatching is over-thinking in a model engine. You're more likely to have a problem with too much cylinder wall oil than with too little in one of these tiny engines. - Terry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back