Two cylinder steam engine with maudslay control

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefang

Reaction score
Hi, its me again... :)

Started to build a small two cylinder engine after a plan from a german steam book:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/3788306564/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The plans call mainly for brass as material, but i am going for steel and cast iron, using brass and bronce only where necessary..also, I don't use ball bearings...i prefer plain bronce bearings.

Progress so far:

Base and bearing mounts:
ablaks01.jpg

Cylinderblock (cast iron) and zylinder liners (spherical cast iron)
ablaks06.jpg

Cylinderblock with the steam chests (also made from cast iron) fittet, the sliding valce is made of bronce.
ablaks11.jpg

The steam inletts and the nearly finished crankshaft:
ablaks14.jpg

Finished excentric Straps, with bronce bearings fitted:
ablaks15.jpg

The excentric Straps fitted to the machine:
ablaks16.jpg

Yesterday I started with the conrods, again cast iron:
ablaks17.jpg

Did i mention, that I love cast iron? :D

greetings
Stefan

Last edited by a moderator:

Going to have to watch this one too. Nice work stefang.

Ron

Nice work Stefan. I like the style of this engine. The work you've done on the con rods and eccentrics is cool. :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Thank you, guys :)

The overall style of the machine (using steel and cast iron in favour, the profiling of the con rod) is copied from Jimmybondies four cylinder steam engine (also to be found here on hmem..I know him relatively good (drank beer together :D ), and he is a real master in what he does...

Also, there is little progress:

Today I turned the lower conrod bearings:
ablaks18.jpg

Milled down by the half:
ablaks19.jpg

The result, splitted bearings:
ablaks20.jpg

Mounted in the conrods:
ablaks21.jpg

Should work..maybe I add some kind of anti-rotating-fixture-device-thing, that prevents the split bearings rotate in the conrod by themselfes..

Stefan

I like the detail in those con rods. Did you make those?

-T

Did you make those?

Of course :)

They are milled from a solid piece of cast iron, those two conrods took about 8-10 hours to make, even with Cnc..

Stefan

stefang said:
Should work..maybe I add some kind of anti-rotating-fixture-device-thing, that prevents the split bearings rotate in the conrod by themselfes..

Stefan

Stefan,

Perhaps you could mill a small amount off the bearing cap so that the big end grips the bearing bush only and does not mate on itself. That way the bearing should not rotate in its' housing.

Very nice conrods. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

stefang said:
Of course :)

They are milled from a solid piece of cast iron, those two conrods took about 8-10 hours to make, even with Cnc..

Stefan

I'd love to see how you fixtured the stock for milling. I'm a beginner at CNC milling, and fixturing the work seems to be the most challenging part for me currently.

Uh Bob, thats a simple aproach..I will do that :)

and fixturing the work seems to be the most challenging part for me currently.

I agree with you, beeing new to cnc its for me also very hard to chose the right fixing of the workpiece.

Sadly, I don't have pictures of the making of the conrods..but I will take pictures when machining the other parts :)

Stefan

masterpiece!

what about loctite? to prevent the brass split caps from rotating...

Here we go...the reversal control:

Milling the bearing blocks from hot rolled mild steel:
ablaks22.jpg

Milling the contour and roughing the holes:
ablaks24.jpg

Aligning both bearing blocks on the conventional milling machine to bore them out:
ablaks25.jpg

Boring job... ::)
ablaks27.jpg

Drilling and boring a piece of flat, cold rolled steel for the levers:
ablaks30.jpg

They will be cut in single pieces after that

Back on the cnc machine, the jig to hold the levers:
ablaks31.jpg

Alignment happens by the big bushing and the small 3mm pin, the part is held by the M5 screw

Finished lever:
ablaks33.jpg

The bearing blocks with the levers and bushings:
ablaks34.jpg

what about loctite? to prevent the brass split caps from rotating...

Don't know, if loctite works here...I think the cap would fall out, wenn not assembled together?

Stefan

Back