Truing stock on a lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milotrain

Reaction score
Forgive the elementry nature of the question but how do you true cylindricial stock on a lathe? I've just bought a little used lathe and I'm sure there is a trick to this but most of the stock that I have is bowed, bent, rough in surface etc. The method of truing a cube on the mill was enlightening to me when I first bought my mill, and I'm looking for the same sort of thing.

Thanks.

Milo

PS. pictures are my best friends ever!

In trade here is my die holder that I built for the mill prior to owning a lathe. Makes quick work of 1/4"-20 threads.

photo-1.jpeg

Watch this guys videos,you will learn a lot.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1t24sxjdZU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

Crab

There used to be some classic south bend videos on line . The MIT vids should give you some ideas look in the
Getting Started Thread
Also read the turning on centers section of chapter 7 of TC 9-524 Army machine tool manual.
Many times on the lathe one just makes a part and cuts away the unneeded metal. if done correctly and preferably in one set -up the part comes out true an example and good starter piece is make a hat bushing.
Tin

The overhang is kinda large on that video.

I would turn the od of the flange and put a stead on it .....JMHO....worth what you paid for it.

Dave

Latest posts

Back