Trout Learns A Thing or Two

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OT on the bagpipe thing:

"The best way to play the bagpipes? With a penknife." - Connor Hogan
"Bring not bagpipes to a man in trouble," - WC Fields.
"Bagpipes are the lost connection between noise and music," - Jim Davis
"I firmly believe that distance adds enchantment to the bagpipes" - WB Yeats.
"Definition of a 'gentleman' - someone who knows how to play the bagpipes but doesn't," - Ronnie Corbett.
"The Irish invented the bagpipes as a joke and gave them to the Scottish, they still haven't found out," - Denis Leary.
"I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made object never equaled the purity of sound achieved by the pig." - Alfred Hitchcock
"Some men there are love not a gaping pig; some, that are mad if they behold a cat; and others, when the bagpipe sings...cannot contain their urine." -William Shakespeare
"If thy neighbour offend thee, give each of his children bagpipes." - Old Scottish Proverb.
"Kevin Ross plays the bagpipes, and they in turn have devoured his soul" -Jack "Smack-Attack" Johnson
"No man has EVER learned to play the confounded instrument!" Grytpipe Thyyne on The Goon Show
"Why do bagpipers march while they play? It's harder to hit a moving target." -Not You
"Golf is a game invented by the same people who think that's music coming out of a bagpipe." -Lee Trevino
"Thank God there's no smell." -Oscar Wilde
"What's the difference between a bagpipe and a chainsaw? You can tune a chainsaw." - Trad.

Troutsqueezer said:
I learned something new today.

Me and steel (steel and I?) have never gotten along when it comes to machining it. I always assumed it was mostly because my equipment is of a smaller size. Get your mind out of the gutter! :big: That, plus the fact I'm a total newbie to machining in general. As it happens, whenever I go to turn a steel part on the lathe I haven't been able to get the tool to take much of a bite out of the spinning metal. Any success I've had to date has been with my carbide bits but even those were performing very poorly.

I was in the process of making a simple crankshaft today and it was not going well. My intention was to call it a day and query this forum for some suggestions as to what I could do to get my lathe to cut steel with some modicum of efficiency.

Before I wrapped it up I decided to apply some lubricant I had just purchased for thread cutting. This is the thicker type of lubricant, not as runny as some. Well, what do you know? The tool bit immediately began cutting nice curly cues the full length of the cut! Live and learn...lube steel when you machine it. Doh!

-Trout
hey fella try my little trick use chainsaw chain oil its sticky as hell and stays on the steel better than anything else ive found and coz of that you dont need as much lol

one of the most handy things i have found to have in my workshop is a bottle of superglue not only does it hold small parts still it sticks minor cuts on my hands shut instantly and seals against infection verry well its like haveing a bottle of spare skin
i also believe it was first developed for patching up broken soldiers in the battlefield i dunno if its true but it works a treat
john

Somehow Trout', your story reminds me of an ages old joke about the lifelong cattleman that went into the local brothel one evening and was found deceased the next morning in bed. His tombstone read:
"He died with a smile on his face and his boots on his feet" :big: :big:

It's just me, sorry. I could not resist snickering. ;D

No problem BC1. I'm the same way. ;D

This post was started right after my second engine. Now that I've finished the third I could double the length of that list. No doubt it never stops as I'm sure everyone here can attest. I am reminded of the words of my great leader and founder of the company I work for:

"With engineering, I view this year's failure as next year's opportunity to try it again. Failures are not something to be avoided. You want to have them happen as quickly as you can so you can make progress rapidly". -Gordon Moore

Bogs, I missed your reply way back then. I agree %100. I've always admired your philosophy to helping others in this forum and elsewhere. It's certainly helped me. If I found myself in the UK some day, I'd feel perfectly comfortable knocking on your door.

kvom - dude...we think alike!

john - with my first bleeding episode in the new hobby machine shop, a tube of Cyanoacrylic is what I went straight-away for but alas, the tube had dried up a long time ago. That's the problem with that stuff!

-Trout

theres a new version of it i know of in two names in the uk one is joiners mate and another is mitre-fast its exactly like superglue but it comes in 2 pack form its superglue that never goes off until you spray the accelerator stuff on it after that you literaly have 2 seconds to make final adjustments
this new stuff is made for glueing mitres together on kitchen plinths picture frames split door edges but will stick anything it touches even glass its great for holding small parts together when drilling and tapping saves a hell of a lot of time
i think they made it 2 pack so it would have a longer shelf life mine has been on the shelf for 12 months or so now and is still fine id reccomend anyone in this game to check the stuff out
ps it makes great threadlock too

john ( mister stickyfingers)

Geez, I dunno Bogs, didn't you just paint that door?

I rather enjoy bagpipes, at least in modest amounts. I keep a CD of pipe music in my car. One year,while driving to NAMES (a 12 hour ride) with 3 friends I looked around and saw everyone sleeping. I slipped the pipe CD, which starts out with a real bang, into the radio.

Sure did bring everyone to attention!

Wot door Tel, I got a rock that rolls across a 'ole.

'Take me as you find me' is my motto. If you don't like what you see, a 180° turn shows you the direction to go.

I had Stew call yesterday, and he nearly got a face full of moon, I had forgotten to put my braces on, and I was lucky to hold my pants up long enough before it got embarrassing.

Bogs

Slightly off original topic, but relevant to new subtext and music lovers;
The definition of "Perfect Pitch", throwing a set of Bagpipes into a Skip and hitting the Banjo already there.
Ned

> Properly prepping the edge of a drill bit for brass prevents having to remake a part .... for the 4th time.
Tin
Who happens to like bagpipe and banjo music and also like a bit of humor. ;D

Properly identifying 303 SS from hardened 17-4 SS while doing a plunge cut with a 1/2 inch center cutting end mill through 1" round stock...........never knew end mills could glow "white" before...... :big: ;D also learned that I need to watch the part occassionally while cranking the knee up

....PS My VanNorman #12 mill could have cared less....

Oh and I like bagpipes....if played well.....but not while napping in cars.... ;D

"Oh and I like bagpipes....if played well.....but not while napping in cars.... "

Just so I know, for future reference, how do you tell? ;)
Ned

Ned Ludd said:
"Oh and I like bagpipes....if played well.....but not while napping in cars.... "

Just so I know, for future reference, how do you tell? ;)
Ned

:big:

If it sounds like:

Screeching cat in a food blender ....BAD

Screeching cat.......GOOD!

Additionally, on edit, I think I like bagpipes much more as a spectator than as just a listener.......

Thanks for clarifying, but I think I will stick with the screaming cat, at least you know the screaming will stop when you take your foot off its tail! :big:
Ned

Disclaimer: I have played both pipes in bands (and funerals) and trombone in jazz bands

Driving home on leave from Townsville to Melbourne as a subbie I had a pipeband cassette on. I thought the drums were way out for a minute, and then realised that in fact I had done the water pump. ;D

somebody told me they sound like "a cat with its knackers in the vise" a bit harsh I thought.
Don

I just don't think I can listen to it as a recording...it needs the Piper, the kilt, ect...and it needs musicianship.

I was working in the engine room on a wedding charter and down through the museum grounds came the procession to the boat...lead by a Piper.

Just as they got started, it started to pour! Everyone had umbrellas....except of course for the Piper....who played on regardless......right down to the dock where he "piped" everyone aboard. He got on board last. He never missed a note...he didn't even flinch....it was coming down in buckets and this procession took 20 minutes! After the blessing to the boat and the couple...he stood down...he was standing at attention until then......and a pint was waiting for him on the foredeck....he sipped it for two hours....very professional

That "spectacle" will stay with me for the rest of my life....

Dave

Back