Trav-a-dial info needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderhorn01

Reaction score
I am trying to find someone that might have the mounting instructions for a GB-42 or 6A Trav-a-dial. Southwest ind does not support these old models any more, and have no paperwork listed for them. I did find one set listed on the internet in photobucket, but can't blow them up enough to be readable. ANY HELP would be appreciated.

I may be able to help; I have a TRAV-A-DIAL installation booklet, but it doesn't say what models it covers.
I could maybe answer any questions you have or scan it and email to you.

Dave

The one that I need info is for, is one of the ones that has a knurled knob sticking out the front of the base. It was set up to preload pressure on it, and to allow you to remove it quickly. The unit I have is the GB-42 (Silver Bullet) model.

This one is seems to be different; it has a loading screw that you turn until the proper preload is obtained. I'm not sure if it is older or newer than the one you have.

Dave

Thank you for the reply's. I found the info from a gent on another site, and he was kind enough to send me a copy. The mount is designated as a M-1 base, used on the GB-42, and the 6A model.

Does that knob set the preload for the wheel? Where did you find the instructions? Thanks.

Does that knob set the preload for the wheel? Where did you find the instructions? Thanks.

I couldn't find instructions for the GB-42 (which I have, somewhere) but my recollection is that after leveling (using the pins near the wheel end) you want to turn the knob in until the wheel contacts and starts indicating, then turn it 1/2 a turn more. Check the precision using a good indicator square to a faceplate or stop and compare readings - if the Trav-a-dial is reading higher then the indicator change the angle relative to the travel surface to put a smaller diameter of the wheel into play, it too low move the wheel the other way.

I poke around in the shop and see if I can find the mounting instructions out there.

Thanks. Kinda thought thats what the knob is for. The newer versions are tensioned with spring plates.

Sorry about getting back on this subject. I have scanned the pages of the info that I have on mounting the GB-42 Trav a Dial, with the M-1 base. I have scanned them as a pdf, so they can be read, the quality is not the best, but there good enough.

View attachment Scan.pdf

Latest posts

Back