Top and rear view of Cat Sixty model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanS

Reaction score
Here are two shots of my model Caterpillar Sixty from the rear and top. The seat is removed to access the clutch linkage so I can adjust the relationship between engine and clutch.
In the top view are the steering brake and clutch linkages for either tracks.
The hardest part to make was the drawbar, silver soldered from steel in many fiddly bits.
The little hand wheel is the access to the PTO spline.

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
That is very impressive work. How much does it weigh? Looks heavy and will be heavier once the engine installed.

That is very impressive work. How much does it weigh? Looks heavy and will be heavier once the engine installed.
It will weigh 60 pounds with the final engine, the temporary Seal Major engine will be a bit lighter. It’s 1 1/2 inch to the foot.

Very Cool :) !!!

I've always wanted to model a snow cat !
but haven't liked any form of continuously-variable-differential that I've seen so far
and I'm guessing yours isn't CV, if not what is it ?

Very Cool :) !!!

I've always wanted to model a snow cat !
but haven't liked any form of continuously-variable-differential that I've seen so far
and I'm guessing yours isn't CV, if not what is it ?
Same as full size, three forward one reverse. Main clutch to shift these speeds, a steering clutch and a steering brake for each track. PTO at the back when in neutral. I’ve arranged the steering clutches and brakes to be force neutral so I don’t need to be hands on to watch it drive in a circle or straight.

On another topic I have a model of an early diesel mechanical locomotive, an Edgar Westbury design known as 1831. I didn’t follow his design closely, among other things I used my own version of Lawrence Mackey’s harmonic transmission. It’s an all mechanical, infinitely variable speed transmission. Mechanically very complex but working really well. You’d have to like cutting gears to tackle it, there are 22 of them in my “simplified” version.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back