Tool ID help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarrett

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked this up at a garage sale some time back. I "think" it is supposed to be used with a back plunger type DTI. Any one familiar with it's use and how to use one???

Thanks,
Julian

tool2.jpg

tool.jpg

I got one (well, two) in with a 6" Atlas I picked up with a ton of tooling (some that fit the lathe, some that didn't) from a retired NASA engineer (his son was selling his dad's old lathe, and knew very little about it) a few months ago. They indeed came in a fitted case with a back-plunger DTI.

I've only just fiddled with it and obviously have no instructions, but I stuck the DTI on such that one end of the pivoting stick pressed on the button and the other end on the stock to be measured.

I suspect the big bar fits in the Armstrong toolholders, but might also be usable as a base.

Julian it appears to be similar to an Indicator hole attachment. these hole attachments make it possible to measure or indicate the insides of holes or other places the indicator will not reach.
yours does not look like it actually attaches to the indicator.
You may have to get a little creative with setup but one ball rides on the part the other on the indicator plunger.
Tin

yes, that is used with a back plunger dial indicator

i borrowed one one time from another machinist and it was a massive pain in the arse to set up...its an old school system...i needed it to get inside a bore to dial a bastard casting on a four jaw chuck....i now have my own a pocket test dial with a bit of reach

667.jpg

this is the type of dial thats mounted on one side of the cantilever

Latest posts

Back