Tool Grinding Rest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShedBoy

Reaction score
Got some HSS from ebay so I thought I had better do something about grinding them consistently. Here is what I came up with after the usual troll of the web. It is pretty basic, knocked it up in between welding duties for a friend who I am helping build a LARGE bowl turning lathe. Boring wood.
DSCF2034.jpg

The bits layed out.
DSCF2038.jpg

Milling the fence slot
DSCF2041.jpg

From left
DSCF2042.jpg

The other side. Just need to make a fence and it should be good to go. It has some angle lines scribed on the rest to line up things. Need to bolt it down to.

Brock

Looks great to me! Get a wheel guard on her though! :eek:

Trust me...you don't want any part of a broken wheel....

Dave

I have the guard for it some where :-\ I can always make another. The white wheel I have on there is a bit of a mystery to me though. Is it the right one? I have a fine wheel and a course one as well.

Just don't get aquainted with it by wearing it in your forehead..... ::)

FIND THE GUARD!
;D

Dave

Wot Dave said about the guard.

Yes, the white wheel is correct for HHS, for carbide you want a green grit wheel. The 'standard' grey wheels make excellent door stops!

The problem with the standard wheels that come on import machines is they are substandard wheels. although my jet does sill have the original grey wheels better Norton wheels would do me well.
Tin

Thanks for the idea Brock. I am going to do that from the leftover materials from the last project.

Get the guard on there!! *knuppel2* *knuppel2* *knuppel2*

one of the places I work is so emphatic about guards if using a cutting disk on a 4 1/2 in grinder you have to have a "cutting disk guard" the factory gp guard is not good enough for them . that is over the top. That said find the guard.
Tin

Safety is FIRSTS in a workshop, but I know grinding wheels are damn strong. Once witnessed a rather brainless man work a manual surface grinder, this man was obviously full of steroids (had all the physical signs) and very proud of the arms he build in the gym. Had to show us girly men how fast he could work that old machine; and bang the wheel shattered with crack. Iḿ glad no person got hurt, not even the culprit.

Norton actually intended grinding to replace ordinary cutting tools in our machines, but that idea failed. So take it easy and don't over stress them!

Can't find the guard :mad: I will have to make a new one. I moved my shed 3 times in one year, not a reshuffle but moved locations. It will show up as soon as I make a new one. Back on the plane tomorrow and back to work :( no shed for me.
I will make a guard when I get back so I can bolt it down and use it.
Brock
:)

;) Nice toolrest Brock Thm:

Make that guard - one day you might be glad you did :)

It might be a good idea to take that white wheel off the grinder and see if there's any of the paper/cardboard left between the left side of the wheel and the flange as in your third photo. If not, strip off all the old paper there's left and make a new ring from about 1mm thick solid cardboard. The cardboard is part of safely running a wheel in a grinder.

Apologies for yet further safety comments; but rather safe than sorry ;)

Kind regards, Arnold

I was planning on putting new ones on when I put the guard on. I am a Safety and Training Coordinator at an underground gold mine when I am not near my shed so safety comments towards and from me is the norm. The grinder has only just hada wheel put on that end as it was just used as a buffer as it is getting long in the tooth and stalls easily. I have another grinder with a belt/disc on one end and a very course wheel on the other end (with the proper guard) which I use for rapid removal. I will start making a guard when I get home it will give me a good reason to practice some tiny tig welding. I also have to mount the drill bit sharpening jig to the bench as well and make the guard suit it aswell.

Brock

Latest posts

Back