Tool chest materials

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd0afk

Reaction score
I want to build my first Gerstner style tool chest but i don't have a planer or table saw or jointer. I do however have a router and finger joint/dovetail jig, Japanese pull saws and hand planes.
I have no way to take rough stock down to thickness but I had the idea to use finished flooring. It comes in several thicknesses and sometimes is even coated for anti-scuff. I think with the tools I have, I can make a pretty nice chest.
The question is what wood to use. I was thinking bamboo. I'ts pretty popular and very strong. The only fishing poles stronger than bamboo is carbon fiber. Any views on using it? I know this is a metal forum but I think this is relevant.

kd0afk,

I built a house a couple of years ago and it has bamboo floors.
I read all about the advantages of using solid bamboo and have to say that I am disappointed with it. It dents about as easy as pine or maybe cherry.

It may work fine for a toolbox, just don't bang it around. I won't install it for a floor again. Maybe some varieties are stronger than others. I have to say for as fast as it grows, it is quite a marvel and expect to see a lot more of it.

Steve Fox

My wife had one made for me for our 30th anniversary and it is made from red oak with ash for the drawers and steel for the bottoms. That was 9 years ago and it is holding up very well. I also have some Gerstner oak boxes, some of them well over 50 years old, and they stand up very well.
I just realized I don't have a picture of it but do have a picture of the Solidworks model I made to design it.

John

cabinet.jpg

KD take a look here this design uses off the shelf boards from Lowes. oak cherry whatever.

http://images.lowes.com/animate/ToolChest.pdf

I have been considering a build for years. and I have an old oak dresser that could donate the wood.
I have a pre ww2 union chest a travers import chest a damark box I had to fix more than one and ended up buying a harbor freight box. the problem is if you look at the plans above and the cost of the lumber it add up fast then added finishing supplies etc. so material cost could be two or three times the cost of a HF box. ($60 USD w /coupon)
Not saying you should not build one just count the cost before you start.

tin

My dad told me many years ago that Oak is the best wood for promoting rust in your toolbox, and never to use it for that purpose.

Looks like he was right if you read this :-

http://www.npl.co.uk/upload/pdf/corrosion_of_metals_by_wood.pdf

Phil

I didn't read through the whole thing but are they talking about unsealed wood? Because I have 6 oak Gerstner and one custom oak tool box, all full of tools, some of them for 60+ years, and no rust problems. They are all in different settings also. Two in the living room, two at the office, three in the cellar (in a furnace room, very dry) and have never had a rust problem.
I do however have a problem in that I have way too tools and tool boxes!
Oh crap, just remembered, one more on the unheated porch.
There has got to be a ten step program for this.

John

I didn't read through the whole thing but are they talking about unsealed wood? Because I have 6 oak Gerstner and one custom oak tool box, all full of tools, some of them for 60+ years, and no rust problems. They are all in different settings also. Two in the living room, two at the office, three in the cellar (in a furnace room, very dry) and have never had a rust problem.

John

There is a 12 step program. First step;send me one of them. lol
I've never heard of oak making tools rust.

My wife had one made for me for our 30th anniversary and it is made from red oak with ash for the drawers and steel for the bottoms. That was 9 years ago and it is holding up very well. I also have some Gerstner oak boxes, some of them well over 50 years old, and they stand up very well.
I just realized I don't have a picture of it but do have a picture of the Solidworks model I made to design it.

John

Do you still have the solidworks file?

Do you still have the solidworks file?

Yes I do. I just opened it up after I don't know how many years and there are a bunch of errors. It's also a very large box, 35" long and 22" high.
If you are interested I will send you a para-solid or a step file.

John

Yes I do. I just opened it up after I don't know how many years and there are a bunch of errors. It's also a very large box, 35" long and 22" high.
If you are interested I will send you a para-solid or a step file.

John

I'll take it.

By the way, traditionally what is that tall thin drawer in the middle used for?

Machinery's Handbook in the ones I've seen.

John

And what's more, most of the tools we use are moderately oiled by using them. So were is the problem...?

I've got one oak, and one mahogany here, with felt lined drawers, and no rusting problems in 25 years...

I like your idea for building your tool box and certainly would not let the lack of power tools discourage your build. The tools described will more than do the job. The dove tail jig is nice simply because of the number of joints required. For a simple box it's easier to layout and cut dove tails by hand. However for your project they will be blind and many.

I have never tried building anything from bamboo flooring although I installed this as a kitchen floor a couple of years ago. It's very hard stuff and I have not experience the dents mentioned in the other post. I suspect the quality of this product might vary greatly by manufacturer. I still have the scraps from the project and might use your idea to build something.

I do already own a Gerstner Walnut box which I have used for 30 years or so. It's for my precision tools and has always worked wonderfully. Good tools deserve a good home.

Good luck with your project, keep us up to date.

--Mark

I do however have a router and finger joint/dovetail jig, Japanese pull saws and hand planes.
I have no way to take rough stock down to thickness but I had the idea to use finished flooring
You have got all you need (assuming you can sharpen the planes)! If you want to learn woodwork, many would say you should start by learning how to do it with hand tools and only move on to power tools when you have got the hang of hand methods. Actually you would also need a pair of 'winding sticks' to place at each end of a board to sight through to remove any twist, and a pencil so you can mark the board and find low spots.

50+ years ago, my dad brought home a bunch of oak dresser drawers. He knocked them apart and used the parts to build himself an Oak tool chest. Which is one of my favorite pieces from my Dads life, as I remember watching him make the chest. Still has his tools inside.

Felt is used to keep the tools from the acid in the oak wood, or so the story is.

Heres one I made few years ago, I also made another toolbox not pictured that went on top of the riser. Used what ever I could find , mostly oak. But I have a planer and that made a world of difference putting it all together. Used no plans , just looked at some Gerstner boxes , seen what I liked and copied it.

riser rolling cart 2.jpg

Reactions: gus
From a woodworking lesson:

Question: Explain why European oak is not normally joined together with iron and steel fittings?

Answers: Because of it's tannic acid content it can corrode iron and steel fittings.

These of course are fittings either in, or in contact with the wood. Brass fittings are normally used instead I believe.
Must admit I've not actually seen Oak used for tool chests.

Latest posts

Back