timing belt gears

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Tel, definitely not a waste of time. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Many thanks for taking the time to show us.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Cheers

Rich

Thanks blokes - I probably seemed grumpier than I actually was - having some problems here (unrelated).

We all have days like those.

According to my wife I'm that way most days.

Ken

Ooooh yes! And having kids (who are now all in their 30's) makes it worse - should have stuck to breeding goldfish!

Tel---Thank you for that very informative post. That was great, and I have filed it away for future reference. As far as kids go----If I had known 30 years ago how great grandchildren were, I'd have had them first and just skipped the kids!!!---Brian

Brian Rupnow said:
As far as kids go----If I had known 30 years ago how great grandchildren were, I'd have had them first and just skipped the kids!!!---Brian
BUT even they grow up and become 20s . :-(
...lew...

Hi Tel and Brian and Lew

I just got my first grand daughter, she's 6 month old now and absolutely brilliant ;D ;D ;D

Just one thing though, how did we get from timing belt gears to grandchildren :big: :big: :big:

Bit like me in my shed I suppose, I start off making one thing and end up somewhere completely different but hey ho its great fun.

Cheers

Rich

Hi

Well I have been playing about with this a little more and I'm now getting somewhere. I am going to use belts with the T5 profile, they are readily available and reasonably priced. I will have to make quite a few pulleys for a few projects I have in mind so I decided to make a bit of kit that I will be able to use many times. Basically what I have done is to use the slitting saw idea but regrind the blade. First of all here's a sketch of the T5 tooth profile.

Tbeltspecs.jpg

Next job was to make a gadget that fits into the lathe tool post and a grinding wheel mounted in the chuck on an arbor. I have used the insides of an old wiper motor to control the tool.

Here's a video of the tool in action. Note I have the lath covered with newspaper to protect it from grinding dust.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-SId6h5ans[/ame]

The slitting saw after re grinding

Setting up in the mill.

About half way round cutting a 24 tooth pulley. The blank is actually 2 pieces of 6mm aluminium clamped and turned together as a test piece.

Finished cutting

The belt is a good fit in the pulley.

It needs the tops of the teeth rounding over slightly but I can do that easily with a small file.
I think I have it cracked now. I have a lot more photos if anyone is interested in more details.

Cheers

Rich

Looks like you got 'er whipped Rich, great job! I'll have to remember this one.

BTW, congratz on the little one :)

Cheers

Jeff

Hi

Thanks Brian, the wiper motors have a very nice worm and gear in them with almost zero backlash.

Thanks Jeff

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

What sort of auto are you getting those wiper drives from?

Hi Mike

I work in the motor trade so any car we scrap I try to get the wiper motor and the radiator fan motor. Ford and Vauxhall are the most common ones I get and seem to be a standard motor fitted across the range.

Cheers

Rich

Wiper gear train?? THATS AWESOME!!! I was actually looking for something like this, because I like to fool around with tool making! THANKS!! :)

Excellent. I'll keep my eyes open for a used assembly like that.

Latest posts

Back