Threading stop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
After watching the old threading video I found on the Wells South Bend site I am curious as to how many folk use a threading stop when single point threading. I learned to thread without one. but made one a couple years ago. It seems to speed up threading. Less to think about.
Tin

I have one on my old 1930's Sheldon lathe and used it there.. I miss it when threading on my 12x36, though not enough to go make one for it yet. ;)

I think Shred has summed my feelings up.....Guess I need to make one....... ::)

Dave

Tin Falcon,
Thanks for the link! I am going to enjoy seeing those videos.
I am going to make a threading stop for my lathe.
Regards.
Fred

Excuse my ignorance. How does a threading stop work?

DP:
No dumb questions here . We are all learning.
It is a clamp that fits the ways of a lathe cross slide that allows the threading tool to be retracted from the thread. then limits the motion when the cross slide is reset to start the next threading pass. It has a hole in it and a screw attaches to the cross slide to limit inward motion. You can see one in action in a video postedHere it is No 5 cutting a NF Thread.
There are a couple of photos of mine in this thread as well http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2286.0
Hope this satisfies your curiosity.
Tin Falcon

FWIW, I have a vague recollection of one that works by restricting the motion of the dial. It is pictured on an Emco lathe in one of the books/magazines.

That would be another style. They certainly look very easy to make.

Best,

BW

Because this is a bidirectional stop it can be used for internal threading as well . Or do as I do and do internal threads cutting on the back side of the part with the tool up side down. No need to turn the compound that way. And as you can see from the TB thread it allows for a little creative milling on the lathe.
Tin

Hi,
Been lurking a while learning to use my camera. My version of a threading stop on my SB heavy 10.
In use

IMG_0216_1_1.jpg

flipped out of the way

IMG_0219_1.jpg

Will post more stuff later as this is my very first post ;D
Dave

Ahah! It seems there are several different types. I thought it was something that stopped the carriage feed at the appropriate position. One link I found describing a Harding HLV-H works exactly that way.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&star...-H6fMF&usg=AFQjCNF2gU8pFZ_2bDr_KP8EKrWMTooZFQ

I did watch the video in the original post, but thought I didn't see it. The stop was there on the cross slide and I see it's value. I guess I do things the hard way. Right now I don't thread under power mostly because I've been threading metric which doesn't allow me to disengage the feed. I just spin the chuck by hand. Nothing happens fast enough to cause any problems.

Thanks guys.

Back