This will make you cry!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Going to the scrap yard tomorrow to unload half a ton or so of steel and aluminum. Stuff I've accumulated over the past 10 years. I figure it's cheaper to buy it as I need it in Austin rather than pay to have it moved there from Phoenix, AZ. Lot of cold rolled steel in there. I'll probably get less than 10 cents on the dollar for what I paid for it.

metal.JPG

Gasp! Eyes averted! You'll be soory
How did you get to be a global moderator?
:'(
BR

I'm just down the road in Houston and have a nice climate controlled room to keep those fine parts in the rough tucked away in. I could give you more than scrap price ( a little bit more) :)

Ah well, at least your moving to Texas. The rest of the world thinks were hick and we let keep thinking it if that means they don't ever come here. ;D

You'll love that town,
Kermit

Watch out. The scrapyards in Austin don't let people buy scrap non-ferrous last I tried (it's in a separate shed and they blocked access to that). That was mid last year so maybe the economy has knocked some sense into them, but I doubt it-- they don't seem to be big on sense there. You might want to hang onto nice bits of Al. We can probably find you some new rusty sawblades ;)

I can one-up Kermit on storage.. I have some in Austin.. somewhat climate controlled... ok, it'll be dry ;)

Let me know when you're here and I can get you info for a guy that has a pile of stock from a shop he closed down for sale at reasonable prices for new material.

wish i were your neighbor i would be glad to rid you of these items.

I have found one 20 miles from where I live, stopped by one day and looked in some of the bins, flat bar, round stock of all kinds, I asked the fellow if they would sell, not much of an answer, went back a few days lather with a dozen pair if gloves that I get for a safety award and some caps, he some how was able to sell and find some nice things, I go once a week now, they have it set aside, I thank them each time, so nice to get something like that close, course it .90 cents a pound but well worth it, Lathe Nut

How are you going to get the material home after they crush the truck? ;D

Those drawers are pretty nice too.

I'm saving all my brass and cast iron, a few larger pieces of aluminum and some short pieces of cold rolled. I'm also saving several drawers full of small pieces of steel, aluminum, and brass.

I figure going forward I will buy only what I need for specific projects from the internet. I know shipping can be a killer, but luckily, small engines don't require a lot of metal. I also may not have as much storage in my next shop as I have now.

A lot of the excess metal (is there such a thing?) came from a Capitol Metals here in Phoenix. They were a commercial metal place that sol brass, aluminum, cold rolled steel, and all kinds of tubing. They sold custom cuts to businesses and would sell all their cutoffs by the pound to individuals at greatly reduced prices. Before they changed hands, I used to stop in there once a week or so and, of course, found lots of stuff I couldn't live without. :) They company that bought them out several years ago has a retail store now and they have rows and rows of bins containing 1 foot lengths of just about any size cold rolled, aluminum, brass, and stainless steel you could want. And, they still sell cutoffs at reduced prices. A very dangerous place to go!

cfellows said:
A lot of the excess metal (is there such a thing?) came from a Capitol Metals here in Phoenix. They were a commercial metal place that sol brass, aluminum, cold rolled steel, and all kinds of tubing. They sold custom cuts to businesses and would sell all their cutoffs by the pound to individuals at greatly reduced prices. Before they changed hands, I used to stop in there once a week or so and, of course, found lots of stuff I couldn't live without. :) They company that bought them out several years ago has a retail store now and they have rows and rows of bins containing 1 foot lengths of just about any size cold rolled, aluminum, brass, and stainless steel you could want. And, they still sell cutoffs at reduced prices. A very dangerous place to go!
Wow.. a place like that would be cool. there are commercial metal places here, but of the ones I've been to, they sell everything down to the cutoffs for regular retail. They "won't charge a cutting fee" on short pieces and sometimes throw in a few inches if that's what they've got. The local metal nuts have an ok line on drops and friends-with-real-shops and so on as well.

Latest posts

Back