Things That Bolt onto the Lathe Bed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Still making slow progress. While doing some boring in preparation for my first internal thread (excl tapping) I came to the conclusion that a stop on the slide would make the job in hand so much easier. Also when I get the rotab built, the first job on the rotab will be fixed and travelling steadies for the lathe. I can’t buy these things locally for my lathe. I know I need the steadies because I want to make some feedscrews with 30deg metric trapezoidal threads.
Taking the tailstock as an example, I am wondering should the bases for the steady and stop run on the same ways as the tailstock, the base of which has a V-groove in a plane? I doubt I can achieve the accurate depth of the 45/45deg V on my shaper and I don't want to ding the lathe bed.
I know it’s not engines yet, but I am getting joy from using my tools to make tools so far.
Thanks,
Ant

If you are worried about dings then cut the vee oversized and cover the contact faces with brass strips attached with countersunk screws. For that matter aluminum would work too. Just make sure to not get any embedded chips.

Thanks Websterz, it looks like my tailstock base has been hand scraped, so maybe I'll try and get it as close as possible on the shaper, then get it closer to a good fit with engineer's blue. Maybe wipe the mating surface with soft solder?
Ant

Back