Thickness gauge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

Reaction score
I've seen these around for years. They come in a number of different forms, some looking easier to use than others. I've been tempted, but haven't tried one until today, when I bought probably the cheapest gauge I've ever bought, in any form.

They have this style at Harbor freight for all of $9. Resolution is 0.0005"

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-thickness-gauge-66319.html

Other import/discount tool suppliers have the exact same gauge from $8 to $25 or so U.S. There is also a mostly metal version, for a bit more.

image_1769.jpg

I'm amazed at how accurate this thing is for the price. It repeats perfectly, seems accurate, and for the price, is a real bargain. Since it's cheap, you can have it laying about, use it hard, and not worry about it. I like it because I am consistently using calipers to track a turning operation. This does the same thing except 5X as fast. It's also useful for examining and sorting round stock, and how about measuring the shanks of drill bits while sorting dozens of wire gauge drills that are too small to read?

If it's as handy as I think it is, I'll look for the metal version. Nice tool.

Nice I have a Mitutoyo Dial snap gauge at that price hardly a reason not to have one or two in the machinist chest .
these also look handy for quick hole depths.

Fowler 74-225-500 X-Tread Digital Tire Gage
isodT3mnYc-4JUh3auUN8a_2jdSfmR-Gk1TqHdncI4F2na7cIayueXES8iquROoYrJFN1R5Ni0X-ewvQjqKfO1t7Hk8Lfu-ovCrSQZpnHx-AAYkH8erQkX2pV1cS-63v43SKtXfiYKrhfkxv_q3FWL3ndqK1V_399_YHCLA1zgrT8An2d42Nn4DJDyA6gPnuFaBJkA

tin

Thanks Swede - I rushed straight over to ebay and bought one! Had to pay closer to $20 than $9 for it tho!

There is nothing wrong with the "cheapest" tools.

Hand the most expensive tool to an experienced machinist and the "cheapest"
tool to a trained monkey, you will probably get different results.

Hand those same tools the an average guy on the street who has the common sense
to hit the zero button or check it with a standard, and the results won't vary at all.

Nice score Swede!

Rick

I got one of ebay too and the anvils are not parallel on mine as well. Because of this it is not that repeatable but with a bit of re-engineering it should improve.

Can't grumble at the price (£5.50) and only want it for a quick check of bar stock and drills etc.

If any one is expecting to use one for accurate measurement though, steer clear.

Advantages vs verier caliper.
1) easier and faster to read .
a) no lines to miss
b) no math
2) faster due to spring
3) more consistent = accuracy due to spring.
4) Compact
5)Acts as inch metric converter.
To be fair disadvantages
1) battery required
2) limited range
3) one set of measuring points vs 4 on calipers
Hope this helps
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Advantages vs verier caliper.
1) easier and faster to read .
a) no lines to miss
b) no math
2) faster due to spring
3) more consistent = accuracy due to spring.
4) Compact
5)Acts as inch metric converter.
To be fair disadvantages
1) battery required
2) limited range
3) one set of measuring points vs 4 on calipers
Hope this helps
Tin

Thanks for that, Tin. Definitely need one so that I can fill my 'surplus' box faster with known thickness of scrap!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

stopped buy the local HF and picked up a couple last night. more plastic than I expected. I like my mitutoyo snap gage even more. but for $ 9 they function I have not had time to test against other tools.
Tin

I hope guys realize that these are definitely not precision measuring tools, but more like something handy to get a quick measurement. I've used mine in the lathe when approaching a value to keep track of where you're at, but not for a final measurement. Useful to sort stock, measure plate, etc.

definitely a gestimator stock sorting tool not a precision tool.
Way too much plastic and slop in it.
Tin

Latest posts

Back