The easiest ? Engine to build. Altoids turbine!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
guys:
There are a number of members on the board with kids or grand kids .
Here is a fun little engine to build on a rainy Saturday morning with the young apprentice.

Newton.jpg

Newton1.jpg

I used my lathe to build this but a drill is all that is needed. a block for the base. a piece of 1/4 inch tubing, a flanged sleeve bearing(AKA Top Hat Bushing) Mc Master Carr #7815K11 $3.00 US or equivalent a little electrical tape and and Altiods Candy tin tin.
Drill two 1/4 connecting holes in the base. One in the top and one in the side . The top one is where the bushing rides the side one feeds air in.
Drill a 3/8 hole in the bottom center of the tin. Insert bushing. Punch a set of holes 1/16th diameter around the perimeter of the can. once in push punch sideways to vector the thrust . make sure all holes go in the same direction. Seal the can with a strip of electrical tape. A drop of super glue or lock tite will help hold the bushing and tube sections in. A drop of oil on the bushing will keep it going. Mine will turn on breath power. Use your imagination and materials at hand, have fun. I made my own bushing ,nipple to fit bushing and drilled and tapped the block 10 -32 on the side. and made a threaded air fitting. The photo shows the block double stick taped to a wooden box. the engine was moving around the display table I got tired of chasing it.
Tin

Thanks for the idea Tin, this is definitely one I can use for the kiddy display.

John

I know this is an old thread but someone here with kids or grand kids may want to make one or several . Here is sketch to make things a little more clear.

TinTurbine_zpsdb7432b8.jpg

Have fun
Tin

Thanks for the update Tim. I have a 7 year old grandson that likes to work with me in the shop and I am always looking for simple tasks that are not too dangerous or complex for him to do. He enjoys it even if all I do is let him crank the handle on the mill table (he learned the concept of measuring by reading the DRO while do that).

Pat

Back