The Cookstown Steam Fair

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
So, this evening I returned, weary but happy, from the big steam fair in cookstown, Ontario.--And a very big steam fair it was. The weather Gods smiled on the event, and it was beautifull mid to high seventies all weekend, and wall to wall sun.
I arrived Saturday morning at about 9 o'clock, with all of my little engines, and found the area that had been set aside for me and a couple of other gentlemen who were exhibiting model steam and "Hit and Miss" gasoline engines. We were set up in a VERY large tent, and the Georgian Bay Steam Club had rented a large gasoline powered air compressor for us to run our engines with.
There were other "crafters" in the tent, spinning yarn, selling Honey Bee products, and steam train memorebilia, but as I said, it was a VERY large tent, so we weren't crowded at all.
I got the air compressor engine started, with some help from a couple of 80 year olds, (Damn, I didn't know there was an on/off switch on those things), and got the airline ran into the tent. All of my engines started up, and ran most admirably, untill about 3 in the afternoon, when one of the loctited connections on my "varying Load Machine" gave up the ghost, so it was dismounted from by display board and retired to my truck. Then this morning, shortly after I got there and started everything up for the days run, My Hit and Miss version of Chucks Horizontal sheared off that teensy-weensy 0-80 bolt that was the cam to operate the inlet valve, so it was "Hors De combat" for the rest of the day.
I had a lot of people stopping by to look at my display, and talk to me. I could tell that about 80 percent of the people had only the vaguest concept of what they were really looking at, but they were all delighted to see so many things going "Round and round and up and down" as the engines all ran.
The most popular thing was the "Slinky Machine"---everybody loved it. Most people "Didn't Get It" about the varying load device, so it wasn't a big loss when it expired.
The most asked question was "Why aren't you running the engines with a boiler???"---When I explained to them about the two million dollars insurance requirement to bring a steam boiler into a public place, they all agreed that running things off compressed air was probably a good idea.
The most amusing comment was from the fellow who was absolutely convinced that I was pumping natural gas into the engines via the airlines, and that somehow all those engines were running on natural gas, because "Everybody knows that compressed air won't burn!!!'

I took about 60 pictures, as periodically I would shut off my dispay and wander around the grounds to see all the nifty "Stuff" that was there.---At one point I was almost ran over by a run-away team of miniature horses pulling a rather large wagon with four people on it. I was getting set up to take a picture of said horses and wagon when they ran away, and I had to jump out of the way to avoid being trampled---thus a picture of the rather wild eyed horses and not the wagon, as I leapt out of the way. There must have been well over 200 hit and miss engines and steam engines running. Some were running all by themselves, many were running all manner of agricultural devices and sawmills, and things that I have no idea what they were.
COOKSTOWNSTEAMSHOW018.jpg

Nice display! I'm looking forward to the rest of the pictures as well. Glad you had fun and were not ultimately trampled by horses! ;D

A home made "Can crushing machine" which was busy all weekend crushing soft drink cans, operated by a kid who looked to be about 12 years old. It was belt driven by a hit and miss engine.
COOKSTOWNSTEAMSHOW008.jpg

A set of "gang saws" being belt driven from a tractor---this was after the lumber had been sawn from logs on a big sawmill driven by a huge steam engine---
COOKSTOWNSTEAMSHOW025.jpg

A collection of working "Hit and Miss" gasoline engines that were set up and running on the table adjacent to mine---
COOKSTOWNSTEAMSHOW035.jpg

COOKSTOWNSTEAMSHOW036.jpg

COOKSTOWNSTEAMSHOW037.jpg

COOKSTOWNSTEAMSHOW038.jpg

Latest posts

Back