Tech Shop - Are you near one?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConductorX

Reaction score
I saw a clip on the Speed channel last night about Techshop. There is only a few in the US. They look like a huge opprotunity to learn and teach many of the skills we have or want.

Is anyone here near one? Can you get some first hand info and post it here?

http://www.techshop.ws/index.html

Thanks much,
"G"

There is one located here in Round Rock, Tx, about 4 miles from where I live. I'm not a member, but I attend some meetings there once a month.

I believe a full membership runs about $1500 a year although they run specials occasionally which brings the price to under $1000. They also offer classes on all their machines plus CAD, CNC, Arduino's, and other stuff. The prices for the classes are very reasonable, starting at around $35 and going up to maybe $100, plust materials if required. You don't have to be a member to take the classes.

This local techshop has all the typical metal working equipment including drill presses, milling machines and lathes. They have a water jet cutter which cuts steel up to 6" thick. They have laser cutters, 3D printers, sheet metal fabrication tools, and an elecronics shop, multiple desktop computers with software, industrial sewing and knitting machines, CNC routers and probably lots more that I can't think of. The place is quite large with lots of room and well lit. I would probably join if I didn't already have a shop.

Chuck

Last edited:
I'm a member of the San Jose techshop. It costs me about $1000 a year. Before you can use a piece of equipment you have to do a "safety and basic usage" class that typically costs $50-$100. After that you can book a block of 2-4 hours on the machine. Things I've found useful:

1) laser cutter for wood/plastic
2) 14x40 lathes for pieces too large for my home lathe
3) tormach cnc for tricky curves
4) powder coating booth and oven for nice finishes

There's lot of other things too, I just haven't gotten around to using them yet.

Jason H.

Thanks guys sounds like my kind of place.

I could really go crazy with a water jet machine. I do powder coating at home but I am limited to the size of parts I can handle.

I can only hope they decide to create one in Baton Rouge or New Orleans.

"G"

Latest posts

Back