TB2 - Elmer's Coomber #46

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flywheel Material??

• Brass

• Aluminum

• Steel

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Eric,

Fine By me, Make the collar a pulley and you can use it inside or outside if you want to drive an accessory 8) Now were cookin' with gas !

-Bret

Sign me up for bearing blocks, either one, Query: Ali or brass?

If the team is interested, I am willing to provide wooden bases (I've got a nice piece of mahogany that's been seasoning for about 30 years now, I think it my be stable!)

Joe

joe d said:
Sign me up for bearing blocks, either one, Query: Ali or brass?

If the team is interested, I am willing to provide wooden bases (I've got a nice piece of mahogany that's been seasoning for about 30 years now, I think it my be stable!)

Joe

That will be the next poll!

And the wood sub-bases... yes please :)

Eric

Ok, does anybody have a preference for shaft material?

I already have some 12L14 on the way, but I'll have to place an order for the cylinder stock anyway.

Polished ali would be a nice counterpoint to the brass flywheel and cylinder, from a bling perspective 8)

-Bret

bretk said:
Polished ali would be a nice counterpoint to the brass flywheel and cylinder, from a bling perspective 8)

-Bret

Gotta agree on the aluminum for bearings. I love the look of brass (I mean really, see my nickname) BUT I think it looks better with contrasting materials... IE aluminum and wood (for the sub bases).

Eric

i was going to offer the making of the wood bases but someone beat me to it ;)

if you want me to make them just give me a shout.........and a drawing to follow.

chuck

i forgot to say that i would be willing to build the bases and i don't want an engine in return.
i would just like to help out as others have helped me many,many times.

chuck

chuck foster said:
i forgot to say that i would be willing to build the bases and i don't want an engine in return.
i would just like to help out as others have helped me many,many times.

chuck

Chuck,

Save the bases for the IC build ;D

Eric

Good morning, Looks like bearings for me. I don't have a preference so either is fine, but sign me up for one the suspense is killing me. ;D
PM the address to send each lot of brass and I'll get them out .

Thanks
Dick

Same as with I! I'll take what is left. I'm going to try and model this engine up this weekend. Hopefully this will help if anyone needs more clarified DWGs.
Tim

Since I assume we're doing aluminum for the bearings, folks ought to consider MIC6 plate. The finish is very close to polish. If you want more bling, it's a wonderful starting point. And it saves you squaring 2 sides anyway. You do have to take some care not to mar it with clamps and such.

Cheers,

BW

Hi, I have been out of town, cylinder shafts and pistons look they need some attention. Sounds good.

BobWarfield said:
Since I assume we're doing aluminum for the bearings, folks ought to consider MIC6 plate. The finish is very close to polish. If you want more bling, it's a wonderful starting point. And it saves you squaring 2 sides anyway. You do have to take some care not to mar it with clamps and such.

Cheers,

BW

I haven't ever used the MIC6 grade aluminum. A quick search told me it is precision ground +/- .005 cast aluminum plate. Besides the ground finish to start does it have any other qualities that make it a better choice then 6061 plate? I have no problem with getting some if it will fit better with the build and appearance. Just looking to learn about it.
Thanks
Dick

No other qualities I am aware of. If you watch eBay closely you can get it relatively cheaply. I've never paid list for it at any rate.

Something else I'm wondering about is matching the look of the small and large bearing blocks. For example, the diameter end mill used will impact the radius of the blend on top. If we don't use the same diameter end mill on both bearing blocks, I think it could look funny as the two wouldn't match.

You guys know what I'm talking about?

I was scheming a fixture for these blocks on my way into work today. I'll have to fulminate some more on it. I'll start a thread to get your thoughts on it.

Meanwhile, what about matching the end mill diameters? What do you guys want to use? Smaller is better looking? 1/4"? Smaller still?

Cheers,

BW

Would there be an advantage for those of us doing the bearings to do pairs (2 big +2 small) so that we get a matched set? Thoughts please.
Dick

Dick L. said:
Would there be an advantage for those of us doing the bearings to do pairs (2 big +2 small) so that we get a matched set? Thoughts please.
Dick

Not a bad idea. You would do 4 big and 4 small...

Everyone up for that?

Eric

Latest posts

Back