tailstock chuck arbor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruffy

Reaction score
Hi all been a while but while other projects are rained out back to my engine, the previous owner of my C2 has done this to the chuck arbor. I had to pull the tail stock right down to get it out. I looked at ebay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1mm-13mm...14020?pt=AU_HardwareParts&hash=item5d4d496484) to get an idea of a replacement but they all seem too long for the tail stock. Any C2 owners know if this is the right part.

006-2.jpg

If you had to pull the tailstock apart, my guess it is too short. The MT2 taper is meant to be 65mm long and to the end of the tang 85mm

On both of my lathes (MT3), I needed to use a tanged taper but had to grind the end of the tang down so I could eject the taper and get full travelof the tailstock. The first time I did it, I cut the tang off and could not get it out (and had to buy a new taper for my chuck). Try measuring the tailstock female taper depth and compare with the measurements I have quoted from the Engineers black book.

Thank you Rod thats what I was thinking, I'll get that one and get the tang down to fit

You can buy a MT2 arbor with a female thread in the end. This allows you to insert a SHCS to fine tune the length to allow easy ejection.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

that is not the correct part. the mini lathe uses standard length mt2 arbors, without tang.

You can buy a MT2 arbor with a female thread in the end. This allows you to insert a SHCS to fine tune the length to allow easy ejection.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

I have tried this too but find that the bolt can twist and change the length so I had problems extracting the chuck. Thats why I prefer to grind down one with a tang and make sure I have full travel via trial and error.

Latest posts

Back