Taig Headstock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatisoff

Reaction score
I own a Taig mini lathe that I'm just learning to use. The headstock on my lathe states that it's hermetically sealed. There are two nuts on the headstock: one on the front side and one on the back. First, what do the nuts hold in place? I noticed that when I turned the chuck, the nut on the back moved a little freely as though it was coming loose. When I replaced the pulley, though, the free motion went away.

Second, I noticed that the nut on the backside of the headstock where the pulley attaches is not straight, i.e., when I turn the chuck, the nut is out of alignment with the shaft... it's not perpendicular. The lathe appears to cutting fine (at least based on my limited amount of knowledge about lathes). I'm planning on purchasing a dial indicator so that I can check the alignment accurately as I eventually want to use the lathe to machine clock parts.

Any information would be most helpful.

The nuts are there to preload the bearings to remove spindle endplay. That is not really a nut on the chuck end of the spindle. It is part of the spindle. Taig is very good about answering questions. You might give them a call. The nut on the pulley end of the spindle should not wobble.

TAIG Tools, 12419 E. Nightingale Lane, Chandler AZ 85286.
email - [email protected] or Phone - 480.895.6978

Regards,

Chuck

Latest posts

Back