Super Glue chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shred

Reaction score
I posted a mention of this over on the old forum, but thought it should go here as well.

Making/using a superglue lathe chuck.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhqstz_A0C0[/ame]

Hi Shred,
I like the super glue chuck idea, will adopt it for the Sherline if I may...was that a SHERLINE I saw on the video on Utube if so is the tool post holder a standard fitting or made up for the lathe,
All the best for now,
John.

Have seen several times that I could have used that method..Question is "How" do you go about turning concentric grooves in the "chuck"?? I guess one could do it on a RT but I have not had much luck trying it on the lathe. May be my method or don't have th correct bits.
Julian G.

Shred
Glad you brought this tip over to the new board. I had the chance to give it a try, just the other evening, and I must say it works a treat. I had a small square piece of aluminum that I wanted to use as an end cap for the boring bar ball turner adapter that I'm building. I had the main barrel of the adapter in the chuck when I remembered this tip. I figured, "what the heck" and super glued the small rectangle to the end of the adapter barrel. In a matter of minutes I'd turned it down a near perfect fit. With a single additional finish pass, taking a very light cut, even the seam disappeared.

This one will see much use here.... thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Julian Garrett said:
Have seen several times that I could have used that method..Question is "How" do you go about turning concentric grooves in the "chuck"?? I guess one could do it on a RT but I have not had much luck trying it on the lathe. May be my method or don't have th correct bits.
Julian G.
I've done it on different items by setting a v-shaped toolbit and the compount parallel to the lathe axis and driving it into the part with the compound. retract, move in a little and make another one..

I have done this same thing before. I just chucked up a piece of aluminum in the 3 jaw and faced it off. Glued on the part and away we go. One problem with superglue is it is brittle and can let go when you least expect it. I know!

I really dont understand why he has those deep grooves in the face. You want as much surface area as possible to hold on. Maybe some light scribe lines for centering.

Also he is not using the glue correctly. He should be using a thin set CA. Hold the part where you want it and apply the CA (Superglue) to the edge. Capillary effect will draw the glue in to the seam creating the strongest bond and the most accurate fit to the faceplate.

Another option to glue is Mitee-bite's Mitee-Grip. Its a wax based compound on controlled thickness paper that you use heat (~200 degrees F) to install and remove the parts. Good for milling when you need to get all around.

I havnt tried it but have been meaning to

Also double sided carpet tape is supposed to work well too.

I used to use the super glue chuck on the wood lathe for turning up bone and mother of pearl, I keep a set of "stubs" of different sizes ,with one end turned down smaller so the shoulder will sit square on the chuck jaws, then just choose the appropriate sized stub, skim it off to remove old glue and to square it up and stick your piece on using a little tailstock pressure to hold it until the glue sets, this way you don't need concentric grooves and you can work closer!, generally the slightly thicker, slower setting superglues hold better than the water thin stuff for this kind of work. Also, a trick similar to the wax paper described above, is to simply glue piece of paper between the workpiece and the chuck ,that way it will just peel away without damaging anything, just clean off the glue with hot water or acetone, I've turned up chunks of wood weighing 6 or 7 pounds using this method and have never had one break off yet!...Giles

macona said:
Also double sided carpet tape is supposed to work well too.
Carpet tape works ok, but not as well for me... it's harder to clean up, releases/slips sooner from heat, dissolves in some cutting fluids and if you cut into it, it makes a gooey mess on the tool, especially on a mill. Superglue is easy and quick-- I do quite a bit with MDF subplates for engraving and just goop on the CA and go.

Latest posts

Back