Summer activities

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Well summer is here and has been for awhile. With that usually the shop work gets put aside. I have been doing some machine work for a fellow building a .22 caliber Gatling gun. I had met him at this year's NAMES show and he said he didn't live far from me so would I mind looking at a project he had started. I've made some of the more complicated parts for him but after getting into it for awhile I told him I thought he had bitten off a little more than he could chew. He said he wanted to press on.
With the good weather I have been able to get out into the garage and use my table saw, too dusty for indoor work. I keep telling myself that I need something better to store and transport my engines and that I should build some nice boxes. Well I finally got after that project and have made 4 boxes for some of my I.C. engines. A friend was given some black walnut boards in various widths so he said if I needed some I was more than welcome to it. We used his planer and jointer to clean up the boards and then I brought them home to finish. I made finger joints on all of them used water based poly to finish them. To accent the Walnut I used brass hinges and trim. I then found an outfit that does laser engraving and had I.D. plaques made up for them.
The weather has, for the most part, been very hot, hot by Ohio standard for June and July. This has afforded the wife and I time to get out on the motorcycle for some day rides. I have also gone on a couple of overnighters with some of my riding buddies.
You have to pack in everything you can before the weather starts to go downhill. We still have quite a bit of good weather left.
The grass cutting has come to a halt due to the somewhat overly dry conditions. It could use a slight trimming but if I do the rest of it will burn up for the year so I'll just leave it for now. Not that I'm complaining!
I'm already planning this winter's coming projects. I would like to build a radial engine but I don't know which direction I'm going just yet, design and build or work from someone else's drawings. With Chuck's successful helical gear thread and Marv's program I would like to make a transmission for my 302 engine. It would be modeled from the T-5 manual trans that they installed for many years. My son has a spare one so all I have to do is disassemble it and measure the whole thing. A good weekend project LOL!
Well that's most of my update, what are you fellows up to?
P.S. I will take a couple of pictures of my boxes and post them in the photos section.
George

George, it's been too bloody hot here in Oklahoma for me to do much in the workshop. The few not blistering days we've had of late allowed me to get some of the repairs my Atlas 618 needed underway. Otherwise I'm just trying to keep some chow in my belly and the roof overhead.

Back