Suitable Compressor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjoe5

Reaction score
I'm nearly finished building my first steam engine. It has a 1" bore and 1.25" stroke. I don't own an air compressor and want to use one to power my engine. I probably won't use this compressor for any other shop work. Any suggestions on what specs I should be looking for, like max psi and CFM ratings? I do understand that if I was an expert machinist I could use a 5 psi compressor, but this is my FIRST steamer.

Cheers,
Phil

If you can find someone with an air brush compressor, try running your engine with that.
(Such a compressor runs my 3/4" bore twin nicely.) If it's satisfactory for your purposes, consider buying one. HF sells them for ~$50, including pressure gage and water trap.

The main advanatage is that these compressors are very quiet. They're light to carry about and they're small - perfect for carting around to exhibitions.

Downside is they lack an accumulator tank and, naturally, are low pressure and volume. They're definitely not a substitute for a real shop compressor but they are very convenient for the stated purpose.

Here's one for ya. I have one just like this that I use to run my model steam engines. It's an old, two cylinder, ritter dental compressor. It has a 1.25" bore and a 1.5" stroke. All cast iron, including the pistons and rods. Nice quiet little unit and it has a very nice, antique appearance to it. I keep it in my study to run my steam engines in there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-ritter-dental-air-compressor_W0QQitemZ280179838053QQihZ018QQcategoryZ31458QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It would be nice if you could pick up this unit or talk the guy into shipping it for a reasonable price.

Chuck

I bought a compressor similar to this a few years ago at HF, except with a cylindrical 2 gallon tank. Usually around $60 to $70.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95499

Works good. Used it up to this year when I got an oilless scroll compressor of craigslist. Used it for everything from nail guns to my plasma cutter.

Bad thing about them though and this applies to all direct drive pumps is they are NOISY!

Find a smaller belt drive like that little dental unit. Or search craigslist. Find an old Quincy, IR, or Speedaire. Just watch out for the tanks though. A rusty tank is a bomb waiting to go off.

Latest posts

Back