Suitable/available wiper material

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillybilly

Reaction score
My TS mill is in need of some wipers for the knee slide ,any recomendations on materail to make them from and where it can be obtained from ??

I've seen heavy felt used. It has the advantage of holding oil to keep a film on the ways.

Should be able to get it at any fabric shop.

Great! I was about to ask the same question. I need to replace felts on my lathe I before making chips. I've seen felt listed on ebay before but thought it was quite expensive.

Thought there may be a particular type that does not disintergrate when it comes into contact with suds and oil .Will give the fabric shop a whirl,cant wait to explain my requirements to the woman behind the counter :big:

Gonna need to make a cutter too ..........

Scissors should cut it.

Just tell her you need it for your kids school project ;D

I asked the same question on another forum some time ago and the general consensus was that Piano Tuners would be a good source of supply for thick felt.

Felt has been the traditional material for way wipers, but I believe the modernists go with a polyurethane type material because it does not absorb anything, but pushes liquids and swarf away from the contact faces.

Fortunately, some kind soul sent me a piece of felt so I never had to look for a piano tuner!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Just thought of another place...

A craft store, the kind that sells the plain wooden plaques and glitter and silk flowers and stuff.
I would expect them to have smallish pieces of felt prepackaged. At least you wouldn't have to buy it by the yard.

The typical downside to craft-store felt is it's pretty thin stuff so you end up stacking a lot of it. I got some real way felt a long while back from a guy and the stuff was about 1"x0.5" bar-stock felt. :) Took a bit of mashing and cutting to get into place, but works great.

chillybilly said:
Will give the fabric shop a whirl,cant wait to explain my requirements to the woman behind the counter :big:

Reminds me of the time I went into a fabric store for some of that fine-mesh bridal veil material for a septic system. The lady didn't handle it so carefully after I told her what it was for. :D

Real felt is made of wool and will not disintegrate with oils or coolants, not in 20 years.

True the polyurethane type wiper does not absorb anything. Like a windscreen wiper, it will wipe all oil away and leave the ways bone dry. The modern machines that use these wipers, need separate lubrication systems from "inside". Felt can be saturated with oil and will keep the ways moist for a long time. True felt will over time absorb very fine metal dust, and needs to be regularly washed out in a solvent.

The felt used for good quality hats is excellent for wipers. Its high quality, very dense long fibers, but only thin. It takes several layers to make a way wiper. Then again it is easyer to cut thin felt layers. Scissors, or better a sharp woodworking chisel and hammer onto a chopping board. A leather holepunch works for round holes. The felt used for clothing is not dense enough for wipers. Make two or three wiper sets, so you can rotate and do not aways have to wash and dry and oil the only set you have.

Chris

thanks dave will get some ordered nice job for the holidays cheers will

if you are looking for something that is thick try using felt weather stripping for around doors and windows ,you can get it at loweas or home depot or hardware stores

:idea:You could use an old felt hat and cut some strips. :hDe:

chillybilly said:
My TS mill is in need of some wipers for the knee slide ,any recomendations on materail to make them from and where it can be obtained from ??
Hi, I have a supply of material from a former life that will do you ,if you dont mind paying the postage you can have as much as you want , .
its 8 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick and cuts very well , i use on my ways on lathe and mill .
It came off industrial ironer (laundry) cost a fortune and is heat resistant and makes a good way protector and parts cushion as well.
send message if interested.
regards
coldte

I have used leather from an old belt, it works ok, and it's been on the lathe for more than a year with no problems plus easily obtainable ie cheap worth thinking about if only to get you out of trouble
Regards Max............

I have thought about installing small oil cups on my lathe carriage, between the wipers, to keep a constant supply of way oil on the ways under the carriage. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on that?

Chuck

I have pulled apart a few printers,and the waste ink holder is a piece of 1/4" felt.washed out,it makes lovely wiper material.Cost=0.

cfellows said:
I have thought about installing small oil cups on my lathe carriage, between the wipers, to keep a constant supply of way oil on the ways under the carriage. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on that?

Chuck

Chuck

Myford lathes are fitted with oil nipples on the carriage, one for the front (on top) and one for the back (at the rear) shears.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Latest posts

Back