Need some help from a US resident

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stragenmitsuko

Reaction score
I would like to buy some acme threaded rod 1/4-16 R
I need 4 pcs of 2ft . wich is abt 20$ at mc-master-car.
Unobtainable in europe , not a single supplier I know of has them . .

Placing an overseas order and shipping to europe will probably cost 10 times the value of the rods .

So I 'm looking for a US resident who can order them for me , and ship
them to Belgium .

I can simply pay all the costs , or offer some steppers or planetary gearboxes or something similar in exchange .

Pat

Btw the reason I need those rods is because I have a bunch of rotating nut stepper motors , and offcourse they are 1/4-16 acme . I'll be building a small desktop cnc with them .

rotnut2.jpg

I know you didn't ask, but let me offer some advice. If the photo you posted shows some of the step motors you have, my suggestion is to throw them away and buy some modern motors. Stepper motors have made huge improvements since the ones you show- they can be identified by the old round motor case vs the new square shapes- the shape is not important, but it indicates they are the new hybrid motors. they will be 3 or 4 times more powerful, and they are surprisingly cheap. You will spend a good deal of money to build any machine, counting things like screws rails, drivers, software etc. In my view it is a waste of effort and money to use such old parts that will leave you with a poor performing machine.

Free advice is always welcome :thumbup:

I agree that the square steppers are more powerfull .
And I have a bunch of those to , and they will be used on other applications .
I've also got lineair rails , ballscrews t-belts and pulley's ....
All destined to the metal recycling .

What I intend to do with these round stepper rotating nuts is experiment to see if
the design I have in mind will actually work and produce acceptable results .
It will also offer me a chance to learn cam and G-code .
If all goes as expected , this one will be just a small engraver , I'll start working on the bigger machine wich will have 3Nm steppers , rotating ballscrews nuts etc .

I've attached a picture of the rotating ballscrew nut "under construction " wich will use sealed tapered roller bearings and a timing belt to drive them , and a 3Nm square stepper motor . .
This one is destined to the bigger machine , but it will take me several years to complete it .

I'l hoping I can pull off the smaller one in a couple of months .

Pat

BILD0011.jpg

I'l pleased to announce that with a little help from mcostello the acme threaded
rods arrived today .

Finally my rotating nut steppers can be used for something instead of gathering dust on the shelf .

Pat

Thank You, I realize that some of Us may not have access to what We can easily(sometimes :) ) get here. Glad to help.

Latest posts

Back