Starting a 60:1 gearbox

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ken,

Robotics is good stuff and some of the results are amazingly good. But I need to remind myself to keep on track. My current direction is away from electronics based things to machining an old style engine. I am now learning the discipline and crafts associated with machining. Electro-mechanical stuff takes many disciplines mechanical to electro-optics to the esoteric discipline of signal processing from which I am trying to escape!! Those shaft encoders are pretty good what I was always interested in was obtaining an absolute encoder but that need has now gone.

Robotics shop? Here? In Australia ? Bit of a joke that one. We have nothing like that here. Thank you for the suggestion about the gear boxes.

This gear measurement job will be done shortly after I've completed this gear set. That is all I need to do currently. All I need to measure is the characteristics of the gear itself. My last measurements, some time ago, looked at the output of the gear box where the input was turned at a very constant rate. What shows up in the output shaft is not only the characteristic of the final gear but also the characteristics of the gear train feeding this final gear.

For some applications where low speeds are involved and zero backlash we used torque motors ie. motors designed to run at 0 RPM but that was in jobs far removed from home jobs.

What I might do is complete my gear train then get on with the job of machining an engine and all that it takes.

Jerry.

Well- good luck Jerry and keep us posted.

Australia is a big market for materials handling and palletising - I think Robotic Automation is the Australian company representing Yaskawa-Motoman there. FYI

Ken

Latest posts

Back