Square Stock in a 3 Jaw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
When I first read about turning square stock in a 3 jaw I doubted it's
safety or even the sanity of such a set up.
None the less I had to try it to see if it would work.
It's just a matter of trapping two side between jaws then shimming the
third jaw to bring the open side to the same run out as the trapped sides.
Square3JawFront.jpg

Square3JawSide.jpg

I this case a small piece of 1/8" steel rod brought it to within .005"
It felt surprisingly solid. Cuts of .050" depth didn't effect it stability at all.
Square3JawTurned.jpg

If your 4 jaw is available by all means use it! But, it is possible to get by
with the 3 jaw if the need arrives.

As I've said before, If it doesn't look and feel safe to YOU, don't use it!

Rick

Rick, I'm sorry, but you can't pay me enough to even think about trying that.

Those were my thoughts as well Marv.
Then after seeing it again in Edward G Warren's "Home Made Steam
Engines Volume 2" I had to a least try it.

Rick

Hi Rick,
And you thought my turbine was scary.
If it needs to be done safely, make up a split bush, most probably more accurate as well.
But it does show what lengths people will go to to get the job done.

John

I think I'll have to second Marv on this one. Not something I'd get out of the electric chair to give it a go....LOL. I've seen what even a small piece of metal can do when loaded up with kinetic energy. I'd not want a chunk of metal to be the last thing I saw before entering the pearly gates....(grin)

Four Jaw, mandrel or Face plate.... but all points are going to be securely trapped before I turn on the machine here.

Steve

I put a post on here about buying a 4 jaw self centreing chuck, just for this sort of situation, in fact I very rarely use my three jaw now, except when I need to turn a bit of large hex (over 1"), under that I use my collet chuck.

John

This doesn't look to be a good set up to me (again, an uneducated hack machinist). It won't be done in my shop, as I don't have the guts to even try it. Thanks for sharing, though!

It does bring up a point, however, and that is if you have the proper tools/equipment to do something the correct way, then why would someone risk harm to his work, equipment, or self in order to save a few minutes? BTW Rake, I am not aiming this at you by any stretch, so please don't take it that way. It only takes a few minutes to do it right, and sometimes years to heal from saving that minute or two.

Usually when I tear up something, or get myself hurt, it is because I am trying to "hurry" something along by taking a risky short cut, and I usually pay for it in time, money, and sometimes pain. This applies to machining as well as many other things! If there is something that doesn't quite look right, or is questionable, then I stop and make the appropriate corrections to whatever needs attention, and then proceed. And even then, things still screw up from time to time.

The other thing to keep sight on is that we (the hobby machinist) are not usually doing production type work, so in my opinion, time is the one thing that we really do have working in our favor. Use a little extra to keep everything safe and keep everything serviceable!

Rake, you are right in that one should only do what he/she is comfortable with. Thanks again for sharing this.

Descent from soap box. This probably belongs in the safety forum, anyway. :roll:

Wareagle and John, one of the things that all of us want-a-be machinists need is some one to take the time like you two did and tell us what is safe and what's not. We all thank and praise you for that. I'll just speak for my self, not knowing anything about what can happen if a improperly chucked chunk of mystery metal does not stay where I put it.
I'm totally stupid on the subject, but when you guys see or read of what some of us are doing and you find it wrong or unsafe please tell us!
Nuf said
Mel

HI
Just as an add on your loading the jaws in the wrong way. If you look at how the jaws are clamping the work the load on the two direct jaws is wrong and possible doing damage to the scroll and the jaw slot.
I have seen this done and by people that should know better and in a factory graded ISO9000. please avoid this its both dangerous and possibly costly to the machine and your wallet.

Cheers Kevin

Back