spill free can

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianhorsepower

Reaction score
how many time have we accidentally tip over the cutting fluid can:wall:
last week it happen once to many so I decided to build a tip free can. This is how I did it.:eek:
I started with a salmon can, Big enough small enough and I love salmon LOL

1.jpg

Last edited:
The photos are going to follow the description of how is was done.
Sorry but I don't know you to write between pictures,:wall::wall::wall:

#1 After a good sandwich Rof}Rof}Rof}I sanded the edge to remove the sealer
#2 I did put everything in the vice and hold it with a C clamp . ONE IMPORTANT THING I did glue a big rare earth magnet in the bottom not in the center
#3 I used regular .062 lead solder and flx for copper pipe. It does make a nice job:rolleyes:
#4 I then cut the tube to proper length sticking out of the can and touching the bottom. I used a damper punch set to flare the end making it easier to put my paint brush in.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

#5 on the other end make a small V using a file or make a half moon shape
so you tubing will touch the bottom and be straight

#6 then you would make the hole for your tube in the center of the can ( that's why you didn't glue the magnet there) :noidea:
#7 next step is to solder your pipe as strait as possible. and of course you would fill it about Half way.

#8 put you paint brush in your can tip it on it's side and admire your work
your done.
*beer*

10.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

can up.jpg

fill up.jpg

tipp over.jpg

Great idea for using stuff you (probably) had about the house and shop Luc.
I may have to copy your idea - once I find that opener that cuts off the lid under the bead.
Cheers
Charlie

I may have to copy your idea - once I find that opener that cuts off the lid under the bead.
Cheers
Charlie

Charlie,

I was out of Tuna , but was hungry :):)

Cheers
Charlie

Just a thought you could buy something canned that can be poured or desolved through a pipe sized hole. The idea being to drill a hole through the lid of the can, probably with a step bit, and removing what is inside through that hole. Going this route the integrity of the cans rim remains. The trick of course is finding a low profile can that has something packed in it that can be removed easily this way.

You do waste whatever is in the can so there are negatives here. All in all though this is a nice little project that should result in a durable oil can.

Latest posts

Back