Spark plug boots

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllThumbs

Reaction score
Anyone ever make any? How? I am sure they can be bought, but I would like to know if there is a "hardware store" way to make them.

E

auto vacuum hose fittings

Vacu-Tite is a brand name. I get them at a discount auto parts store, (in ca. Kragens). They have them on a small dedicated carousel. #4trashx  depending on size , straight or angled.

The trick is inserting the wire and cap. I do it but there must be a better way?

Ray M

Oops, I just realized the ques. was how to make, not how to buy.

Ray M

Model Engine Builder issue #4 has a drawing (design by Robert B. Eaton) inserted that shows one made from 1/4" drip irrigation elbow.

Like ElGringo says, this is the way I used to make them years ago using car vacuum fittings. I used to 'burn' the hole slightly larger where the plug went into.

plugcap.jpg

I was lucky in that the late great Bob Shores cast me a dozen or so before he went to a better place.

He made a little mould and cast them in a hardish silicone based material with the same sort of brass ferrule on the end.
These were of course for the small 1/4" rimfire types.

If you want to go really cheap use solderless crimp connectors used for sound systems (speakers). They are basically like a female portion of a waterproof jack. The spark plug end of the terminal fits the champion plugs with a click, and the flexable covering fits down over the porcelain just the right amount. It can also be bent at the midpoint to make 45's or 90's.

For high tension spark plug wire use Radio Shack electric test meter lead replacement wire. It is very flexable and has extra thick insulation.

Hope this helps,
Frank

This is not my invention, I read about it a number of years ago in some publication, but it is so simple and easy and looks good.
Machine a brass cap to snug fit on the spark plug cap and solder your spark plug wire to it. Slip a small O-ring on the wire, and a larger one on the brass cap near the open end. Plug the opening in the cap and dip the thing in that rubber like compound that you dip plier handles into for grips. You can dip a couple times to build up as desired. Then with a knife trim the hardened dip around the plug and and pull it out, you have your very own custom boot.
Birk
P3110001.jpg

Lovely tip there Birk,
Much neater than the ones I used to make.

I will have to start making ic engines again , just so I can try it out.

John

Tool dip is handy for the shop!

It's amazing how well it works and for how many things.

Best,

BW

Latest posts

Back