• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Source for blacksmiths Coal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
I t has come to my attention that some here also dabble in blacksmithing.
I have also found that finding coal and especially blacksmiths coal is difficult at best. And often miles away.
I have finally stumbled on a local source
Woodstown Ice and coal
Woodstown NJ
About $15 for 50 lb bag.
Tin

I t has come to my attention that some here also dabble in blacksmithing.
If hitting hot metal with a hammer is blacksmithing then I've dabbled a little bit.
I have also found that finding coal and especially blacksmiths coal is difficult at best. And often miles away.
Generally it is a propane torch for me. In my case dabbling is a very infrequent thing. As for blacksmithing with coal are their any advantages? I was seriously thinking about building a small propane fired forge, but for the little bit of metal pounding I do it is hard to justify, plus yet another machine to lay around.
I have finally stumbled on a local source

Woodstown Ice and coal

Woodstown NJ

About $15 for 50 lb bag.

Tin

You know I've never even thought about trying to find coal in upstate NY. Probably about as much fun as finding refractory.

For what its worth I believe most smiths here in the UK use Coke in their forges as it's cleaner. Cleaner still is charcoal but it doesn't last very long. Some smiths I've seen mix charcoal and coke!

Many petrol stations over here have bags of solid fuel on the forecourt, not sure if it's coal or coke though.

Last edited:
Charcoal has one advantage,it burns and unlike coke,it leave no sticky mess to clean up .
Disadvantage is it burns too fast and constant recharge required.
Coke is expensive in Singapore and hard to get.

For mini jobs,I plan using Mapp Gas Torch. Now looking for an anvil that is too big and heavy to lug up three floors.

Penn Keystone Coal Company, LLC
RD 1 Box 557
Claysburg, PA 16625

General Office: 814-244-3140
(Please leave voice mail if line is busy)

Fax: 814-689-7010
(Note: fax # in the 2005 Keystone Coal Manual is incorrect)

http://www.penncoal.com/wst_page4.html
Tin

http://www.reboysupply.com/coal.htm

reboy_logo.gif

I have about 2 tons of chestnut coal from the 60's when my grandfather put in oil.
I also live in N E PA coal country
it has sat outside and needs to by rewashed
I burnt some about 5 years ago in a small coal stove, burnt fine.

Is this good for blacksmiths?

Is this good for blacksmiths?

Hard to say is it hard coal or soft.
Good blacksmiths coal is bituminous (soft)
has low ash low sulfur
good coking properties and you can form a cave in the fire. to put the iron into.
Tin

Hi Tin,
Are you planning to do some smithin this winter.Will be nice and warm. Smithin is the only engineering job that keeps one warm and comfy in winter but in summer it is the opposite.

Happy Smithin.
(Still recalling the days in Trade School forging my own steel chipping chisel.That was 53 years ago)

Latest posts

Back