Soldering a double Crankshaft

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwilkes

Random Dude
Reaction score
Hi folks. Quick question about soldering a double crankshaft (for a Stuart twin): would you solder both crank assemblies in the one job, or would you have two soldering, cleaning up after the first one?

I'm worried that by the time I'd get to the last (8th) joint all the flux would have vanished... Or should I just be careful where I apply heat ?

Thanks

I would absolutely do it in one go. If you start with one throw and move to the other, and don't apply too much heat too soon, you should have nicely liquid flux by the time you migrate over to the second throw. If all is as it should be, each joint will need only a touch of the solder and each throw will take only seconds rather than minutes.

Last edited:
Success. ThanksGWRDriver :)

image-123785522.jpg

Great job !!! It looks very nice !! I have a similar situation with a crank for my LaFrance Fire Engine. Instead of welding or silver solder, I have chosen to use a light press to hold all the components together. Then I will use taper pins to lock everything together.
Again, awesome job and thank you for sharing your success story.
Larry

Excellent work. Explain how you kept everything true with so joints. I can't imagine how you did it.

SirJohn - the parts actually almost held themselves in position, but i helped it with a clamp and some shims:

IMG_0059_zps39b98136.jpg

Back