Snow engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I am building a Snow tandem engine and I have everything pretty much completed. As always I am having compression problems. The pistons, rings and valves seem to be fine but I am leaking badly around the lip seal at the end of all four cylinders. I can purchase new seals but I have a feeling that I am just going to have the same problem. At some point you have to install the seal in the wrong direction over a recess in the connecting rod which may be turning the lip in the wrong direction.

I was wondering about using string packing similar to what I have done in the past on steam engines.

Do any others who have built this engine have any advise on what to do?

Gordon

As long as you have a way to take up the follower as needed, it should work just fine. If my smallest packing is too big for the application, i simply un braid it and twist the strands together to get the size needed.

If you are using the new viton seals that S&S sells, they are very difficult to get over the connecting rod. You need to have a good bevel on the rod, and rotate the seal as you install it over the rod. Be sure to apply some oil too.

Hi

I have recently completed the Snow and I have had problems with the seals as well. For now I have put it aside as spring is here and I have a lot of outside work to do. When I get back to it I have some new seals to try. instead of the spring that holds the seals lip it has an o ring and the lip is a bit stiffer.

I will also be replacing the intake manifold with one that has a water jacket to warm the manifold. (see RustKolectors post)

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=26761

Mark T

Hi

I have recently completed the Snow and I have had problems with the seals as well. For now I have put it aside as spring is here and I have a lot of outside work to do. When I get back to it I have some new seals to try. instead of the spring that holds the seals lip it has an o ring and the lip is a bit stiffer.

Mark T

What seals have you found to replace the spring seals?

Gordon

Thanks for the information. Those seals look better than the spring seals. I will probably order some and give them a try.

Back