Snow and cold

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mklotz said:
Yes, this winter weather is a real annoyance. Why, when we ate lunch on the patio at the marina today, the temperature was only 74. Simply appalling.
:big: :big: :big:Yes yes just appalling :big:

That was one of the things I enjoyed when I was out there at Long Beach for the UG conference at the event center. Sitting on the patio for supper time. I can't remember the restaurant I really liked (maybe light house).

Yep thats it!
I really liked that place. I attended the UG conference 2 years in a row out there. We stayed at the Westin in Long Beach.

mklotz said:
Yes, this winter weather is a real annoyance. Why, when we ate lunch on the patio at the marina today, the temperature was only 74. Simply appalling.

I missed this post last time that I looked at this thread.

I'm sorry to hear that your suffering Marv. Its really a same, but its not you fault. This has happened to others that move to an area with a boring climate that stays within a narrow temperature range. When there's a slight change out side of this range, they can't deal with it due to a lack of acclimation to temperature changes, and complain to no end. Some people combat this dreadful situation by moving around the country, and even out of the country based on the season. When the temperature rises into the 70's and 80's I head up north into Canada were the temperature is pleasantly cooler. I just love Canada!

You might want to consider moving to a warmer climate during the cold winter months. ;)

Is their a warmer place nearby, perhaps a desert? :noidea:

-MB

I have hazy memories of when I was a kid, we took a vacation to Southern California, I remember a place very similar to that.

Marv, Is it, or has it ever been an upscale buffet? I remember a Thanksgiving lunch at a really fancy restaurant on the beach with a similar view, there was a two man band, one of them had a washboard. This must have been about 20 years ago.

Kel

Metal Butcher,

I live within a few hours drive of Death Valley and Las Vegas. If I want heat, I go there.

As far as cold is concerned, I grew up in Pennsylvania and went to college in Massachusetts. When I graduated, I sorted job offers by latitude and longitude. The snow on the top of the San Bernadino mountains that I can see from my office is as close as I want to ever get again.

Kel,

I don't remember a buffet and I've been frequenting the place for many years. As you might expect, we've got a lot of seaside restaurants.

mklotz said:
Kel,

I don't remember a buffet and I've been frequenting the place for many years. As you might expect, we've got a lot of seaside restaurants.

Thats what I fuigured, a shot in the dark. I did say the memory was hazy :big:

Kinda like when I tell people I'm from North Dakota, and they say,"Do you know Bob".

Kel

Hi All,

Here in Brazil, in some regions the problem is with the rain.

Now, The rain reduced a bit here in Sao Paulo, But in some cities in the state of Rio de Janeiro is still critical, mainly in the mountain region.

In the south, near the Uruguay, the drought ends with soy, rice and other ... are the contrasts of nature modified or not respected by us.

Take care,

Alexandre

It's been really mild since the snow melted here in Surrey a couple of weeks ago but this morning we had a hard frost and it's been quite a bit colder.

Vic.

Well here we go one more time! We are suppose to be in for another 8+ inches of snow starting tonight and going into the weekend :mad: the only good thing about that is the yard work will wait and I'll get to play a little with my new toy.

Front yard web cam
You'll notice the snow is just now all gone so now we get more oh yippee :mad:

I have a friend that is working on a Stuart Twin Victoria steam engine I plan on going and checking out this Saturday I looked at it a while back and it was looking really nice! Well at least with the snow in the forecast we both will get some shop time silver lining you could say! ;)

Looks kinda windy there, too, Doc.

That should do wonders for the visibility and really help out the driving.

I think we finally got rid of the snow, I got real tired of the 80 degrees one day and 4 inches of snow the very next day. For a month.
Now we just get rain. Lots of it.
Pretty soon the two big drainage ditches near me (the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers) should start over flowing.
That will start making it hard to get around anywhere.

Yes the wind is a blowing.
Yes in town they have been getting ready for flooding and more moister isn't going to help anything. I'm glad we are high and dry on the north side of town. They are saying blizzard conditions possible tomorrow after noon.

I'm at work just looked at my cam looks like we are getting a little snow!!!
When I left for woth this morning there was about 2 inches of slush under about 4 inches of snow but it looks like there is alot more now!

Yeah - Had a couple cool mornings down here in South Texas, was in the 60's (f) when I rode to school in the morning, but by evening the chill was off and it was close to 90....

Y'all could send a little rain down here though, hasn't precipitated enough to say so since October and the cracks in my yard are an inch wide.

Well don't that just beat all. May 1st and its snowing and the ground is all white again!! Normally I'm planting part of our garden on the 1st of may. North and west of here they are having a full blown blizzard. It's plenty windy here but I don't think the snow is blowing around to bad yet. Look's like tomorrow will be another play around it the shop day again. I need to start my next build.

Back