Snap ring pliers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can I find a really small snap ring pliers? On my Howell V-2 the pivot pins are 1/8" dia with a snap ring. All of the methods I have tried to put them on the shaft results in shooting the snap ring across the room to be lost forever. My fingers do not lend themselves to handling things that small. I have tried regrinding my existing pliers with no luck. E rings still have to be placed on the pin and the groove is right next to the flat face so the ring cannot be grasped by the closed end so it is a manual operation with my fat fingers.

Got a set recently at Horrible freight. I think there wae 3 pliers wit interchangeable points . They were under $10 .

I use a lot of e-rings/e-clips. This is a great tool for installing the small ones. It took a little bit to learn how to load the clip into the tool but now it is quick and easy. ILt will install a e-clip right up next to a flat surface. Here is a link to an ebay iisting for one but I bought mine from my local hobby shop that deals with RC cars. They use a lot of e-clips in the chassis. I paid about $10 US for it, but that has been several years ago.

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duratrax-R1107-Ultimate-E-Clip-Tool-1-5mm-5mm-/122196867216

I just ordered one from Amazon. I needed some other stuff so I ordered one. I end up ordering a lot of stuff from Amazon. After looking all over town and not finding stuff I can get it in two days from Amazon with Prime shipping.

Gordon,
I get a lot of supplies from Amazon also. I am hadicapped so no longer drive so it is the quickest way. They are a little more expensive blut I have the materials in hand before I can get a ride around town and if I subtract out the cost of vehicle operation to go looking is is really cheaper.

The easiest way to load the e-clip in the tool that I have found is to place the clip on a flat surface like a piece of flat plate about a inch in from the edge. Back up the clip with a strip of metal.I use a 6 inch machinist rule. The recess for the clip on the tool is wider on one side of the blade. Withe the wide side down poition s the clip so the points are against the back up strip. Press the tool down flat against the plate and snap it onto the clip by sliding against the back uu strip. This will make more sense when you have the tool in hand.
Gail in NM
p

The other day I needed some special batteries so I made several calls to nearby stores and got everything from the person I talked to not having any idea that there were batteries other than A and AA to refusing to go look. I went on the site for Walmart and Target and both had them as a ship to store so that I could pick them up. I bought them from Amazon for $5/10 pack with free shipping and had them in two days right to my door even on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back