Smokehaus

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmechthings

Reaction score
How about another hot air engine? The design Idea for this one just kind of tumbled out of my head one day. I think that is how the chimney got all bent up, but it runs ok, so I guess it is all right. Actually I think the basic idea came from a picture that I had seen some place.

P4090002.jpg

The only unique thing about this one is that I made a lamp that works like the antique oil lamps where a knob it turned that rotates a star wheel against the wick to raise or lower it and adjust the size of the flame.

P1200003.jpg

Question: how many viewers remember the old smoke houses that were used to smoke salted meat to preserve it in the days before refrigeration? Ever heard of "salt pork"?

Great looking model there Oldmechthings. How did you do the engraving work?

I've heard of salt pork, not sure if I have ever had any though. I have a friend that smokes a lot of venison in a little out house looking building. Every once in awhile he stops by and drops off some. I keep in my little fridge out here in the shop for a snack. Dang now I am hungry.

You need to know that decoration or graving as you call it is nothing but high tech in my shop. First you mill a slight depression, maybe about 1/32" deep. Then you take and old pin punch or something about 3/32" diameter and grind and polish the working end to approximately hemispherical. After that sit down on a stool next to the workbench and with a small hammer and using the modified punch you stamp, one at a time, as many dimples in the recess as will fit. It keeps you occupied for a while. The trick was learned from reading one of Philip Duclos' articles years ago.
Birk

Being a Texan (transplanted and slightly reformed), I don't have to remember smoke houses the way they used to be. In fact, my brother-in-law has a fine smoker that I will eventually wind up copying:

TexasSmoker.JPG

I figure its a message from above that the shape of the great state of Texas works well for smoking meat! ;D

Nice engine, BTW!

Ought to be a able to sit a collection of Stirlings atop an active smoker or BBQ. Some clever fella might even think of a "practical" use for the power they produce. Blowing that amazing aroma of ribs being smoked all around the neighborhood would be easy with a Stirling fan, but probably needlessly cruel to those not invited to dinner.

Cheers,

BW

Latest posts

Back