smoke systems

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayanth

Reaction score
I'm looking at possible other projects, and poking around steam engines decided to try for an engine with a heavy steampunk look, probably steam driven as well, but I want to add smoke to make it run" dirtier" than the nice clean steam engines i've seen from you folks ;D

Any suggestions for smoke systems, or even a DIY one? I know they make them for r/c airplanes but not familiar with how they work

- Ryan

A little oil in the stack will dirty it up! DOn't put it in the firebox though! soots up the tubes!

Dave

I love Steampunk stuff!
Please post pictures of what you are planning/doing!

Never thought of just adding oil to the exhaust stack... that ought to work just fine :)

Wrist Pin - no immediate plans just yet, but I will happily start a WIP thread when I do get 'a round tuit'

I've always had a love for gears and a love for engines, and a warm place in my heart for steampunk. Here's a chance to blend them all :)

- Ryan

Hello Ryan, I do not know what you have in mind in terms of a "dirtier" model, but check out the local hobby shop. In the train section there should be a smoke generator element that is placed inside the stack of a locomotive to simulate smoke. It is merely a small heating element (usually a small light build) that is powered by a small, low voltage supply. The application of a few drops of what is termed 'smoke oil' (also available at the hobby store) is placed into the device and when it gets warm from the heat of the bulb will begin to smoke.

BC1
Jim

Back