small drills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi Mcgiver

I'm not a hypocrite and I don't spend my life making tooling. I'm just a guy enjoying himself, a guy who doesn't know the answer to everything, that's why I asked, that's what this forum is for isn't it?

Thanks for your help Dickeybird, the pin vice idea worked.

Cheers

firebird, wow, glad you spoke up on it... seems you interpreted my post completely opposite to what was intended

I said

coming from someone who seems to spend his life making tooling this may seem like blatant hypocrisy, however the more you rely on what you've got rather than making specialty items (like odd sized collets for drills) the more productive you will be - that what the pro's strive for.

the someone referred to was me, not you. the hypocrisy is 'me', someone who makes tons of tooling and pokes fun himself in the process, going on to give advice to avoid making special tooling where possible ......it was tongue in cheek self depreciation; sort of "I know the right advice to give, if only i practiced it myself".

anyway, glad you're having fun, none of us know it all - that keeps it fun. I must say that you, thinking I'd been calling you a hypocrite, showed the utmost of decorum and restraint in your response!

Hi Mcgyver,
Firebird showed ,as you, say restraint however I would not have done. If as you say you are a tooling professional perhaps your reply could have been more productive. Questions are asked for sensible answers to allow us to continue our hobby. If your hobby is self-depreciation and sarcastic comments perhaps the Edinburgh Comedy Festival is more your level.

I will put this question into perspective. Firebird is building a steam engine and turned a part in his Myford. To avoid setup problems he has an adaptor that allows him to move the complete chuck and work across and fit it directly onto the rotary table mounted on the mill. Problem is that once it is all in the mill there is very little space for the chuck and drill bit hence the question about short drills. If we were professionals with unlimited money and supplies
we would probably have a lathe that can turn 60" and a mill we could stand in but we don't so please now post a sensible suggestion.

Regards

Julian

Well done lads,
One Karma point each.

For FB for remaining calm and composed when he thought he had been insulted.

And Mcgiver for taking it in good stead and explaining the situation wonderfully.

Both still having fun.

Julian, please, no aggro, we have that in real life, lets not have it here.

John

John

No aggro just perspective.

Julian.

Bogstandard said:
Well done lads,
One Karma point each.

For FB for remaining calm and composed when he thought he had been insulted.

And Mcgiver for taking it in good stead and explaining the situation wonderfully.

Both still having fun.
...and special golden double stars to John for saying what needed to be said. Nice being around a well-adjusted group of adults!:)

John

So what are Karma points? And what are they for?

Julian

Firebird showed ,as you, say restraint however I would not have done.

then that would be your loss as there was no malice....often on forums that is not the case though and imo the best course is to walk on by. simple communication gap here, easily rectified when heads stay level, if either one failed to, then one or both ends up looking silly

If as you say you are a tooling professional

I did not say that, and I am not a professional (at least in this domain), I said the minimizing of specialty tooling is what the pro's strive for, implying there's good reason for it so lets borrow from their book.

perhaps your reply could have been more productive. Questions are asked for sensible answers to allow us to continue our hobby. If your hobby is self-depreciation and sarcastic comments perhaps the Edinburgh Comedy Festival is more your level.

I think you are being unfair. If you read my original post, I gave two very good (imo at least) suggestions.

I said in my original post

I would either....

lose the 3 jaw out of the set up ( it just takes up space), hold the work in v block or small vice bolted to the RT and centre with an indicator

or

use the set up you've got but just use a spotting drill in a collet to start and thereby fix the hole location then do the actual drilling in a drill press (or on the mill with the work floating)? imo there is no advantage in drill in the mill once the location is fixed

Both of these perfectly suit the situation and are consistent with the advice i gave; if possible to avoid making special tooling. of course they are not the only possibilities, but do you challenge their relevance or feasibility in saying i should have provided a sensible answer?

I will put this question into perspective. Firebird is building a steam engine and turned a part in his Myford. To avoid setup problems he has an adaptor that allows him to move the complete chuck and work across and fit it directly onto the rotary table mounted on the mill. Problem is that once it is all in the mill there is very little space for the chuck and drill bit hence the question about short drills.

It was not necessary; i perfectly understand the situation and question. your multiple references to me failing to provide a good solution suggest you don't understand what i proposed.

The frist suggestion called for abandoning the chuck. the lathe to mill thingy is a nice convenience, but it is just that; just convenience - there is nothing sacrosanct about it and we're trying to overcome a constraint, right? if the lack of daylight prevents the operation from being completed, forget about using the chuck and mount in a low profile manner, ie V block clamped to the table. indicate into position.

the second involves keeping the work in the chuck and using a spotting drill, this comes in a common size so is easily held in a common collet, and is short so clearance is not an issue. Locate the holes with the spotting drill, then do the actual drilling in the drill press or on the mill, but using the mill as a drill press; after spotting the hole locations hold the work in a vice floating (not clamped) on the table with the 3 jaw and rotary table out of the way. As i said, the mill is handy for locating the holes however after they are located there is no disadvantage in drilling them with drill press (or mill as a drill press).

If we were professionals with unlimited money and supplieswe

do you know of any? everyone works within constraints and i know of no business providing unlimited money and supplies. The solution that works within the constrains and consumers the least resources is the best - i believe that methodology has merit in both home and commercial situations. Nothing I've proposed went outside of the constraints presented or spoke down to the home shop (of which i too am a practitioner)

so please now post a sensible suggestion.

i have tried, apologies that it didn't measure up in your book

Go easy Gentlemen.

We are about machining model engines here....

Rick

OK

No further thread on this from me

Julian.

Hello lads

Thank you all for your very constructive comments, I have enjoyed immensely reading them. Lets hope we never get onto religion or politics! I'll just say that I needed to take the part from lathe to mill and back again several times and leaving it in the chuck removed the need for repetitious setting up but the job is now done so lets close this post and move on to something else. Beer drinking will do.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back