Slitting Saw Arbor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I need to make an arbor for a slitting saw with 1” diameter mounting hole. How much bigger diameter arbor do I need? Will 1 1/8” material be enough or should I use 1 ¼” and why?
Arbor will be straight shank, ½” diameter, with a larger piece threaded on.

Chuck in E. TN

What is a D nut?
I don't think I want to incorperate the key until I have more experience using the saws. I would rather the saw spin on the arbor than have it jam and tear up the mill.

Chuck in E. TN

I would with at least 1.25" stock. I've used arbors with no key in the past and rarely have a problem with the blade spinning on the arbor. Thicker blades could be a problem though. I typically use an R8 adjustable arbor like this:

SSAR8L.jpg

The OD is 1.25"

Chuck

The first arbor I had was as Chucks, not satisfactory with me, There was not enough grip without the key, Iwas using 3-4" saws, slipped or sucked in that screw, super tight.

MachineTom said:
slipped or sucked in that screw, super tight.
Oh boy does it ever. I ruined one already, and am not happy with its replacement. If I ever see one with a key, ill buy it, and may actually consider the saws a good alternative instead of a frightening one.

Yep, 1.250" minimum, preferably 1.5" - give a much more secure hold on the saw. I never make mine with provision for a key, just rely on friction. So far no real problems & I've used right up to 5" dia saws that way.

Well here is what I came up with.

http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/chucketn/Machining/Slitting saw arbor/

It holds the 2 3/4”saw good and tight, and while still on the lathe I checked runout. Zero!
I did not add a key as I didn’t have the right size stock. If it becomes an issue, I’ll add it later.

Thanks to all who had input, I appreciate your help. I did not make any drawings, just worked from what I had in the possibles box. The shank is drill rod, the body a piece from Dad’s collection that already had the ½” hole. The cap is a slice off of a 1 1/8” mystery metal bar, again inherited from Dad.

I will test it today on my mill, cutting some ¼” ali plate.

Chuck in E. TN

cfellows said:
I would with at least 1.25" stock. I've used arbors with no key in the past and rarely have a problem with the blade spinning on the arbor. Thicker blades could be a problem though. I typically use an R8 adjustable arbor like this:

SSAR8L.jpg

The OD is 1.25"

Chuck
2 questions chuck, is that r8 arbor very expensive and is it available in #2morse? I really like how it can accept most any saw blade. John

The R8 arbor is between $20 & $30. I've not seen anything like that with an MT2. You could probaly modify the R8 version by cutting a #2 morse taper on it. I don't think these are hardened steel. R8 tapers have a 7/16 x 20 thread in the back for the draw bar.

Chuck

Looks good to me! You have done yours opposite to the way I do mine tho'. I put the spigot on the main body, with the cavity in the cap piece, M6 socket cap screw for holding 'em together and the shank turned 0.500" for holding in a (M3) collet.

Chuck, The blade you've shown is rightly called a slotting saw, designed to create shallow slots like in a screw head. It has no rake to the teeth (appears so anyway). In cutting a deep kerf like you intend to in the 1/2 AL, the saw disk will drag awful, mix in some sticky AL chips and jamming is likely to occur. It could shatter as the other poster stated, not a good situation. A slitting saw has rake to the teeth, and a thinned disk, this reduces the drag, and provides clearance for chips.

The photos I posted in your previous arbor thread, were of a slitting saw, you can note the differences. A slitting saw can really cut quickly, that bronze is 7/8 by 1" single pass, about 20 seconds to cut. 80 rpm

Latest posts

Back