Slide Valve Use In Gas Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The title pretty says it all. The engine is FUNKY, my long stroke engine. Single acting, slow running with auxiliary exhaust. I want to do this simply to be different and make people think when they see it running.

Anybody have any experience in this area or can direct me to information?

Bill

Two problems I can see.

1. In a steam engine the steam pressure holds the slide valve against the valve face.

2. The compression and combustion strikes will both want to lift the slide valve off the face, normal valves in a gas engine are pressed against the seat at these times.

Maybe not a slide valve, but the valve operation was done by eccentrics in early gas engines, borrowing from steam practice. Gardner was one such manufacturer using this technology, but no doubt there were quite a few others doing the same.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Slide valves and their cousins rotary valves have been used in IC engines before. Last user of rotary slide valves I can remember were in Moto-Guzzi motorcycles. More friction, but no valve float issues, very compact arrangement.

Maybe not a slide valve, but the valve operation was done by eccentrics in early gas engines, borrowing from steam practice. Gardner was one such manufacturer using this technology, but no doubt there were quite a few others doing the same.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

NSU motorbikes in the 1950s/60s used eccentric drive for the overhead valve gear. Google NSU Max if you want more info. Running the eccentrics exposed on a stationary engine would certainly get them talking.
Then you could use a rotary valve for something really different. It would lend itself to eccentric drive very well indeed. Quite simple to do, in theory.

NSU Max eccentric overhead cam drive.
The third, inboard, eccentric rod is not eccentric, it holds the camshaft in place. Two eccentric rods are used, staggered so cam rotates only one direction.

Norton Manx experimental sleeve valve

That is very cool. IF it works full size, you should be able to model it.

That is very cool. IF it works full size, you should be able to model it.
I have managed to find a description of the Otto slide valve and it is not purely slide valve. It depends upon a poppet valve for exhaust. The slide valve was part of a complex scheme to use flame ignition. As soon as other ignitions were developed, the slide valve disappeared.

Not very promising.

Bill

Back