Six Shooter Elbow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bogstandard said:
Isn't it nice when things work first time out?

Thanks John - yes the moment of truth is always a bit nerve wracking - I don't generally post anything I design until after it works to save making a prize ass out of myself.

I knew the original idea was a drive coupling, I didn't know it was called a Hobsons coupling.

Still aways to go yet.

Ken

Ken :bow: :bow:

Congratulations on a successful test. I think you got it licked!. Slow running, reversing, no flywheel, are all signs of a good design, well executed. You didn't make it real clear but it sounds like you also resolved the oil slinging?

A flywheel, while not really needed, will improve the slow running capability. I have not built an "Elbow" engine and like most people here, have a long list of things to get around to. I have always thought that when I did, I would like to have a flywheel on each cylinder designed as bevel gears. I would set them so that the teeth appear to be in mesh but make no actual contact which would eliminate gear noise. S Just an idea that I may never get around to.

You might enjoy this link to my first post on this forum. The angle of intersection is 72° and is also an "inside out" design. The visible rotating parts are the cylinders.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=3500.msg34766#msg34766

Jerry

Thm: Well done Ken ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

Ooh, it's awesome to see it running! It's going to be a great once it's finished up and settled in! :bow:

Simon

There was never a doubt in my mind. Looking forward to the finished product.
I am starting to get how this contraption works. Are both cylinders under power or just the vertical one?
Alan

Thanks for the comments.

Captain - that "scratch your head and gawk" motor is exactly the sort of thing that interests me - lovely.

I think the oil problem is licked - although at the moment I'm applying lashings of oil while it runs in so its still throwing some - but once I stop applying oil to the outside end of the cylinders, the "O" rings should keep the oil in (that's the idea anyway).

Miner49r - both cylinders are powered - 180° extending and 180° exhausting (a little less to avoid overlap).

Bogs - It only just sunk in about mounting as a "V" - Intriguing idea.

I was also thinking of "Gears" on both cylinders - but I was thinking more along the lines of old style pin gears - but they won't actually touch (does make a nice place to jamb your fingers).

Ken

Hi Ken
That is awesome
it reminds me of a swiss watch :bow:
Pete

It has been nearly three months since I last posted on my elbow engine.

Once I get an engine running I tend to leave it unfinished and run it for a while and show it to friends etc - but terminal ennui sets in and it usually takes a while for me to get motivated to tear it down, attend to all the outstanding issues and finish it off.

Well I've resumed and hope to finish it off shortly.

I made the flywheel - continuing with the six-shooter theme, I made the flywheel spokes out of spent cartridge cases (I hope this isn't too over the top).

Boring the rings on the RT / minimill.
eb6fwb.jpg

The cartidges have a draw angle on them so I could make them a tap fit and still leave wicking space for the solder.

Next assembling on the lathe to get everything concentric.
eb6fwf.jpg

During the soldering I dropped the damn thing which knocked it out of whack (much cussing) did a fairly decent job of restraightening it (hot) and skimmed it all to run true and look good but the butt ends of the cartidges are all at slightly different heights which is going to annoy the hell out of me - but I'm not going to remake it.

All polished up and fitted to the engine.

eb6fho.jpg

I have decided to lay the engine down in an eliptical wooden base (next step) and I am going to hack away some of the platework upright (as suggested by Bogstandard) to pretty it up some.

Ken

PS I've switched to Imageshack as Photobucket is frequently unavailable.

No pictures on this side Ken....

Looking forward to seeing them as it has been a while since you worked on this engine.

Andrew

Hi Ken

:( No images here either.

I had a quick look at your post's source - the image sources come up like this:
Code:
[img]http://=http://img10.imageshack.us/image10/2103/eb6fwb.jpg[/img]
The wrong part is the first http://= - that shouldn't be there.
I removed those bits for now.

Not that it matters much for me... Imageshack does not allow any of my local ISPs to access photos :( - I just get to see yellow frog pictures, so just check if other people can see it now.

Kind regards, Arnold

Arnold,
Thanks - all sorted - its very fussy about syntax - once I cut and pasted it it all got sorted and I can see the pictures as opposed to the damn yellow frog - that must be really annoying for you.

Fooser - thanks, I like the way it came out but it might not be to everyone's taste.

Ken

;D That's looking great Ken :bow:

Definitely not OTT - just very unique!

And thanks; I don't know what you did with Imageshack, but it now allows me to see the photos.

Kind regards, Arnold

45 - Go ahead - make my day.

Actually they're 7.62 NATO rounds - but the butt end is the same as a 45 auto - the rifle rounds gave me a bit more length to play with.

More correctly the pistons are 10mm diameter x 30mm stroke.

Ken

WOW!!!
That is a cool looking elbow engine!
Quite possibly the greatest example of customization!! ;D

Now how about a video of it running?

Andrew

Ken

That's a good looking engine. I'm not much on guns but I appreciate the integration and style. I agree that the angular plates seem a little out of character. Your plans to change that will help bring it together.

I like the reverse control but I am a little puzzled as to the circumstances that would require a reversing revolver.

Jerry

Captain Jerry said:
I am a little puzzled as to the circumstances that would require a reversing revolver.

In case I ever get sent to a backwards universe by my improbability drive of course.

Andrew - there is a video of it running on page 4 but I will post another (better) vid once I've finished all the detail work.

Regards,
Ken

Latest posts

Back