Simple minded engine ideas-everyone may post.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
putting a steam jacket on a cylinder case is supposed to be good for economy...limiting condensation in the piston bore and preventing loss of some heat as steam enters the cylinder.

What if the outside of the cylinder was well insulated, and instead of being immersed in steam, the steam is allowed to 'circulate' through out the cylinder block before entering a piston. This should preheat the cylinder block and prevent excessive condensation shouldn't it? I assume it will. And I'm assuming we are running non-condensing and exhausting steam above atmospheric pressure.

untitled.gif

View attachment Steam inlet block heater.pdf

Compound engines were well developed by the time gasoline engines came along, so naturally the priciple was tried on them. Here is an interesting version. A center piston is driven by exhaust gas in the manner of a LP cylinder in a compound machine. It also recieves its power on every down stroke, alternating with the exhaust stroke of the piston on either side.

compoundICengine.jpg

I thought it was a neat idea, but then again, I'm easily impressed. :eek:

:big:,
Kermit

another simple beauty of an idea for boiler water input under pressure. Four pipes, four valves and an extra tank.

books

Kermit

Back