Sieg mills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayanth

Reaction score
I see quite a lot of references to the Sieg mills, X2 usually, and occasionally X3. So I loaded up sieg's site and found that their distributors are harbor freight, grizzly, etc.. I chose the x2 to try and find equivalent models at these distributors, and have found what LOOKS like them, but they list slightly different specs.

Are the Sieg mills that are commonly referenced here, just the rebranded equivalents at these sites, or am I missing something? I'm looking at the X2 or X3 as a good mill for me to start with based on what i've read in various threads here they sound like great machines.

Ray all of the mini mills of various labels are out of the seig factory. Yes made to different specs. the x-2 from littlemachinshop.com will have upgrades the Harbor freight model does not.
Tin

I think Sieg are probably the biggest manufacturer of Mini Mills and Mini Lathes in mainland China. There seems to be other people who copy pretty closely the Sieg designs. Real Bull is an example and there are others that seem use the same numbering system as Sieg but are no name machines from what I see in Adelaide Australia. Not sure now, but at one time China didn't have any respect for copy right or patents.
I have an X2 mill myself "Genuine Sieg" and it seems Ok . A number of people complain about the rigidity of the column. At this stage is has not been a concern for me but then I haven't worked it hard and probably never will. If I was to purchase now I would have go for the X3. Not much bigger, but heavier and definately seems more rigid in its design..
It doesn't matter what machine you buy, there comes a time when you wish you had bought something bigger. I have space restricions so C3 lathe and X2 mill really fill the allocated space, so I am restricted in the size of projects. I am doing this as a hobby and not as a business so cut the cloth to suit.
Barry G

Latest posts

Back